2 Layer Rotary Switch Manufacturers?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MothBox, Dec 20, 2013.

1. MothBox

MothBox

Im having a bit of an issue finding a decent 2 deck rotary switch. They all seem quite stiff and dont have that nice click youd get from a single deck.

Is this a common issue due to the 2 layers or are there any manufacturers producing a 2 layer switch with that feel-good click?
  2. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Do you need two decks, or two switches in one (like a Strat 5-way)?

The Radio Shack 6-way is like two in one.

Here's a drawing I made to give you and idea. I have the two "out" jumpered in this diagram. I'm not going to wire like this, btw.
  3. MothBox

MothBox

For this wiring yer, needs to be 2 decks. Its a pretty complex wiring for a bass.

I made a mess of a first attempt so didn't even install it and took it to my local guitar tech who wired in a 2 decked switch for various pickup selections.

Its just a bit stiff turning. Im tempted to get a simple toggle and downgrade my original idea as it is overly complex. But i like the asthetics of the knobs.

If theres nothing available with smooth switching ill have a look at a nice looking toggle.
  4. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

Have you tried all the wiring combinations you're thinking about, and you're sure you'll like/use them?

I like to test the different oprtions first with long wires and wire nuts (no switch), decide what I want to keep, THEN make a plan for the final wiring and switches.

Once I had a Strat and put a bunch of switches on it. The guitar had about 15 different combinations with series/parallel. I ended up using about three of the options, and they could have been had on a stock 5-way switch. Lesson learned.

Sometimes stuff sounds a lot better on paper, but in real life you might not use all the different combinations.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MothBox

MothBox

Yep, this is something I'm currently looking at. I've got about a month before I have to do some re-wiring with some new pickups anyway so thats my timespan for playing around with the current setup and seeing what I use and what I don't. I may rewire this into a simple parallel/series switch.

Stayed away from this originally as I didn't want a toggle but I'm starting to think it may look okay. A bit of trial and error at the moment.
  7. GlennW

GlennW Supporting Member

That Bronco diagram, I was trying to limit the controls to two knobs so it would look stock (except for the extra pickup). One knob on a volume pot with a push/pull series/parallel switch, the other knob (rotary switch) being a pickup/cap selector switch. That would be very limiting, and if you look at it position 3 would be worthless (to me) because there are no caps in the circuit.

Good luck with yours.
  8. khutch

khutch Praise Harp Supporting Member

I used a two deck Grayhill rotary switch I got from DigiKey in a mod to one of my basses. They make nice switches that have the good feel that you are after. I got 12 position switches and they came with two teeny pins you can insert into the switch to limit it to any number of positions from 2 to 12. Nice professional grade switches which cost about $25 if I recall correctly so not cheap but I don't think they will disappoint, today or many years from now. I believe there were two or three other brands to choose from too, depending on exactly what you want in terms of number of positions, shaft diameter, etc.
  9. MothBox

MothBox

I wanted a parallel series switch but as i wanted it to be rotary there was going to be dead spots so i attempted pickup selection too on top of a blend knob. It all works, its just the knob itself isnt very satisfying to use and i think ill end up using the blend as a result.

Ultimately i dont need that many features on the rotary so im going to look at wiring a standard toggle into it instead. I think ill retain the features i use by doing this and all round make it simplier to use.