2 PF 115's or 1 fEARful 15/6?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by VeganThump, Feb 11, 2013.

1. VeganThump

VeganThump

I'm in the market for 15"s and I'm on the fence, help?
  2. dukeorock

dukeorock Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Authorized greenboy designs builder
    You can get an Ampeg cab anytime....branch out and you'll be glad you did :)
  3. VeganThump

VeganThump

Yeah I'm thinking the same thing, I already own an 810e so I probably should branch out like you say. I guess I really just want someone to talk me out of the 15/6 because its gonna cost me about $400 more.
  4. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

Do you want to carry two cabs around with you, or just one? There is the issue of tone, however - the fEARful will sound very different from the Ampeg. There are some examples of folks playing through fEARfuls on youtube, you should watch a few to get an idea of the tonality of these boxes: very different from traditional bass cabs, with a way different handling of the high mids and treble, and a way deeper low end. There are also a lot of other cabs out there in the same vein as fEARfuls: Fearless (also from Greenboy), Baer, LoPhat, Audiokinesis (horn-loaded tweeter instead of mid driver), and probably a lot more that I'm forgetting right now.
    The big thing to take from this is that even tho they all sport 15" speakers, they all sound very different, and even more so compared to more traditional bass cabs. What are your tone preferences? That will help us give better advice and suggestions.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. wshines1892

wshines1892

Get the 15/6. I was about to pull the trigger on some PF 15s because they sounded decent and weren't too expensive, until I found the Avatar TB153. A little different since it's a 15/6/tweet configuration and a different company obviously, but I usually play it with the tweeter off. The mid range driver does everything I always wished a tweeter did and sounded great doing it.

The only downside is you'll want to mic your amp in two spots and a soundman may douse you in gasoline and try to set you on fire. I'd say buy used if at all possible and it will most likely bring it down to the cost of a new PF15, heck you may even be able to buy 2 if you go used.
  7. VeganThump

VeganThump

I play a PBass 5er w/chromes and I have an SVT 7pro. I like a warm, lightly overdriven, tubey kinda tone, with a nice boost in my low mids. I realize that the voicings are worlds apart between the Ampegs and the fEARful, but if I'm to understand correctly, the 15/6 isn't really designed to color your tone per se, so I just assumed I could get a similar tone to the PF's with some EQ tweaking, is that naive of me?
  8. Hobobob

Hobobob Don't feed the troll, folks. Supporting Member

That is the general design goal, yes. The tone when you first plug in may still be a bit of a shock - there's much more upper-mid content from a fEARful cab than you may be used to. You can absolutely get a ton of tonal variation using EQ, but you may have to search for your desired tone a little harder than using a more plug-n-play cabinet. You will be rewarded, however, with a cab that offers more deep bass and clarity than just about any cab you could get in a Guitar Center.
  9. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Having tried the Svt 7-pro and 15/6 combo I say go for it.
  10. Foz

Foz

11. VeganThump

VeganThump

Can anyone speak on the Bassic 1x15 by greenboy? Someone said it before but my ideal situation would be a one cab solution as opposed to two, but I play in a loud, downtuned stoner rock kinda band so I'm worried about a single 1x15 not being loud enough or farting out. Also I'm trying to save money where I can.
  12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The PF115's and the 15/6 are going to sound completely different. The 15/6 has extended lows. Maybe too much lows with the 7 Pro. I compared the 15/6 with an F215 and a Bassic 15. The Bassic 15 is probably more to your tonal goals if you like the ampeg. Search for a thread on the DIY 215 and there's some sound clips/vids and you can get an idea of what the Bassic will sound like (just a speaker and no tweet/no mid driver).
  13. lomo

lomo passionate hack Gold Supporting Member

I have a Bassic 15 and an LDS 15/6. For your music I'd get the 15/6, without a hint of a vestige of a doubt, in a heartbeat. It's much louder, lower and clearer than the Bassic, which is a great cab for old school tone (blues, Motown etc).
  14. VeganThump

VeganThump

Well looks like I have some homework to do, but at least i have a better idea of what i need to do, thanks a lot boys! Just wish there was somewhere to test out a 15/6!
  15. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

There must be someone in your area that has one.
  16. VeganThump

VeganThump

I'm in south jersey if anybody has one lol. Plus I'd feel weird just contacting someone and being like "hey I just met you and this is crazy, but I like your fEARful, can I try it maybe?"
  17. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    +1

The Bassic's big brother the Dually is one of the few cabs that still gives me gas, but its not going to replace my fEARful's. the 7-Pro is a great pairing to a 15/6 or a 1212/6. Pull the lows back to 11-1130, mid selector at its lowest selection and mids bumped to 2-3 oclock, highs at noon. Bring the gain up to 1-2 oclock and master to tastes.

Looks like your nearest user is actually an Authorized Builder. Paul Tollini of Scabby Road (popgadget here on TB). He should have his personal cabs for you to try out.
  18. majortoby

majortoby

I'd give it a go man. I'm dying to see for myself if the hype is truly justified.
  19. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Take a drive over to RNV or Foz's place and give their cabs a whirl...
  20. VeganThump

VeganThump

Yeah I actually emailed him about some prices, I didn't think to ask him if I could jam on his cabs though, is that reasonable to ask?
  21. VeganThump

VeganThump

That is EXACTLY how I run it now, accept I keep the lows at noon.