1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. We are currently evaluating the "One Post Per Classified Ad" policy. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2 pole switch question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by T-Mac, Jan 28, 2013.

1. T-Mac

T-Mac Supporting Member

Hey folks,

I bought a 2 pole rotary switch for series parallel switching. It is a 6 position, but I only use the two, and the other 4 positions are "blank".

After confirming the lugs/pathways with a multimeter, I soldered the leads. Series and parallel positions sound fine and as expected, but....I'm still getting weak signal in the other positions!

I'm stumped as to why this is. I rechecked my wiring and everything looks "good". The bass has a 9 volt premap...not sure if that would play a factor of not. Can anyone shed some light onto what is going on?

Thanks!
  2. line6man

line6man

How did you wire it?
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    Why did you get a 6 position rotary switch?

You could have used a DPDT toggle switch, or even a push pull pot.
  4. T-Mac

T-Mac Supporting Member

[​IMG]

Red to A

White to B

Black to 1...out to preamp

Green to 7...out to ground

Jumper from 2 to 8
  5. T-Mac

T-Mac Supporting Member

I used a 2 pole 6 position rotary because I couldn't find a 2 pole 2 position. I don't like the look of a toggle, and I do not care for push pulls.

Silly, but it is what it is.
  6. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

Still, couldn't you get a 2 position twist switch?
  7. T-Mac

T-Mac Supporting Member

8. line6man

line6man

What you did was leave an infinite impedance from the negative phase lead of one pickup to ground, while the hot was connected to the output. What you should have done was copy the series/parallel switching for the rest of the positions, so there wouldn't be any "open" positions. If you had more poles, you could mute the output in the unused positions, but you only have the two, so that is not an option.
  9. JoeWPgh

JoeWPgh

You would use a DPDT rotary. There are a kabillion wiring diagrams on this that are all essentially the same. I'm sure you could find one at Mouser or Digikey
  10. T-Mac

T-Mac Supporting Member

Thanks, line6man....I see now!

There shouldn't be any "problems" with the 2 first 2 positions though, yes?
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

mouser has the flipside of this, a 6-pole 2-position rotary!

works perfectly, and will flip up to three dual-coil pickups between series and parallel (it uses 2 poles per pickup).
  12. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
  13. bassbenj

bassbenj

It took a while to see what you did but now I do and lineman 6 is right. You can't really add "mute" without an extra set of terminals. Let me say however that a rotary is one of my standard setups which I usually wire: neck. both series, both parallel, bridge. But lately because I bought a switch with an extra position I added "mute" and I must say I really love the convenience of a mute position! I'd highly recommend doing it that way.

Say wait a minute! Why do your pickups have four different colored wires? And you aren't bothered by a switch with four positions that don't work at all, but ARE bothered by a toggle or push-pull control???!!! You wouldn't be one of them thar geetar players over here just pretending to play bass, would you? :)
  14. T-Mac

T-Mac Supporting Member

bassbenj, a Nordstrand mm4.2 has two coils; black/white, red/green plus bare leads.

My preference against toggles or push pulls is irrelevant and not likely to change. I had a 6 position switch laying around (yes, really) so I used it. Simple as that.

SGD Lutherie, thanks for the links. Question though....would a shorting (MBB) switch be preferable?

Thanks!