2 preamps sharing 1 battery

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by wolfmaster19, Jan 17, 2014.

1. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

right i am trying to fit two different configurations in just 1 bass and i don't really have any space left for 2 batteries

could someone shed a light as to how it would be possible for 2 preamps to use 1 battery

i have a ON ON toggle switch that i will use to change between each preamp- pickup config

i am thinking about using one of those stingray jack outputs to direct the batteries power at the selected config without having to add a second toggle in there, i know it's possible i just don't have all the pieces

any input is appreciated, cheers

2. line6man

line6man

You don't need to do anything fancy. Connect the battery's positive terminal to the supply leads of both preamps, and you're done.

3. wolfmaster19

wolfmaster19

4. mrbell321

mrbell321

Yep, if you can do the selector switch(on-on), that will improve your battery life.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. line6man

line6man

the current consumption of most preamps is so low that it isn't worth worrying about. Adding power switches, however, is asking for trouble, as you would have to deal with pops and momentary DC offsets.

7. mrbell321

mrbell321

Wouldn't most preamps have power-on pop suppression? ...probably not now that I think about how the industry operates, but I wouldn't build a preamp w/o it...

8. line6man

line6man

Nope.

I would never design a preamp with such a thing. Why overcomplicate the circuitry for something that provides little advantage, when power switching is rarely an issue if you use your bass in a conventional way? Most people just mute their rig when plugging in their bass, so there aren't any noises at power up. If you want multiple preamps, they can all share a single power source. If you get the current demand up to where battery life becomes an issue, then you can phantom power, or add another battery, if you are at 9V. It's simple, all around.

9. mrbell321

mrbell321

Ah... that's true... I guess I was thinking more of a outboard amp.