1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2 questions about an old PBass model (Fender Historians Wanted)

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Mola Ram, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

So, I was thinking back to the first bass I ever had. It was a Fender PBass that had a passive P/J pickup configuration that dad bought for me when I was 15 years old (so probably 1995-96). It was a GREAT bass for learning and. And while I did move on to MANY different basses after that (I went through a phase where I thought active/neck-thru, 35 scales were the only way to go) I have found myself in love with a Yamaha BB1025X. Passive, P/J, just as a 5 string.

My questions have to do with that original bass. It had two things that seem to be very different from other 4 string Pbasses I've seen and I was hoping someone could tell me about them.

1. The headstock: While it had the classic shape of a Fender it seemed "narrow". It's the only way I can describe it. I've yet to see another Fender headstock like it.

2. The cutaway on the lower horn. It was deeper than almost all fender Pbasses I see these days. I actually prefer the look of that deeper cutaway and I'm curious as to why it's not used more.

Now that I think of it I think another weird thing was the pick guard was not the standard Pbass one. I believe it was actually the kind you'd find on a 51 PBass.

I hope all that made sense. Does anyone have any insight on to what model this was?

Thanks!

2. msb

msb

Might have been a Cowpoke . I think they were actually called Precision Specials but they were often referred to as Cowpoke basses .

3. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

[​IMG]

did it look like this?

4. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Wow, you guys are good!

Yep, that's it except mine was black. Thanks! Does anyone know anything else about this model?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Doctor_Clock

Doctor_Clock The Moon Machine Gold Supporting Member

7. E.J. T.N.T.

E.J. T.N.T.

Was about to say it was probably a cowpoke. Nice basses.

8. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

9. Mola Ram

Mola Ram

Thanks again! Much appreciated. Time for me to get reading.

10. smcd

smcd Supporting Member

Cowpokes are inexpensive. You can pick a nice example up for around $400