2 soapbars and 1 piezo..

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by saved, Jan 6, 2014.

1. saved

saved

hi.i have a 5string with 2 soapbars and i am thinking to put on a piezo bridge.if i conect it straight to the preamp with a blend control,will work or piezo bridges need some special wiring?
    thanks
  2. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

A piezo pickup doesn't blend well with passive pickups without dedicated active electronics of its own.

My suggestion would be to make or buy a small buffer for the piezo pickup - a buffer is a preamp that has either a little or no boost at all, but lower the output impedance so you can mix it with the output of the preamp of the magnetic pickups. Next, give it its own volume/tone controls and finally mix the output of that with the output from the other preamp, simply by connecting them at the output jack. That way you'll be able to turn the piezo down completely when you don't want it, or gradually blend it in with the magnetic pickups - or you'll be able to turn the magnetic pickups' (rather their preamp's) output down and turn the piezo up fully for a semi-acoustic sound.
  3. Jazz Ad

Jazz Ad Mi la ré sol Gold Supporting Member

You need a 2 channel preamp. One for the blended pickups and the other for the piezo.
  4. saved

saved

i was thinking to blend the piezo with the pickups and pass the signal from the 3band EQ.so that is not possible.i am right?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. RobbieK

RobbieK

Nah, not really. Well, not without extra active electronics. You need at least two buffer circuits. One for the piezo, and one for the (passively blended) magnetic pickups. Then you have to choose which controls you'd like. Three vols?, Two mag p'up vols, and a piezo blend? A master vol, a mag blend and a piezo blend? There's lots of ways to do it...

I'm pretty sure Bartolini has a little two channel buffer circuit. If the input impedence is greater than 5meg then this would be ideal.
  7. line6man

line6man

You cannot mix piezo and magnetic signals without buffering. The magnetic pickups just short out the piezo elements, because their output impedance is much lower. Typically, it is necessary to buffer both the piezo signal and the magnetic signal, because you want the output impedances of both to be similar.
  8. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

9. Stealth

Stealth Supporting Member

Why a Free-way switch? What kind of switching options did you implement?
  10. saved

saved

so all i have to do is this.right?

Attached Files:

11. Jazz Ad

This is a bit more complicated than it needs to be.
    Dual blends are annoying to use. The preamp is also a buffer. You'd better use a separate volume for the piezo.
    If you have a 2 channel preamp it's super simple, blend the pickups and send them to one channel, send the piezo straight into the other one.
    It really is the best solution.
  12. ctmullins

ctmullins Registered thumper Supporting Member

Positions 1, 2, 3 are Neck/Both/Bridge for the mags only. Positions 4, 5, 6 are the same with the piezo added.

I don't always use the piezo. But when I do, I typically run it with the neck mag. Helps to fill out the bottom end.
  13. line6man

line6man

Way too complicated. There should be no preamp. If you want equalization, choose a preamp with dual inputs, where one has the high impedance necessary for piezos. There are piezo systems available.
  14. saved

saved

well..lets see it from the begining.
    i have the vgs cobra 5string.it has the artec se3 preamp.i have problem with the treble knob.its not working all the time.this preamp cost 18 euros.i need to change it and i will get the artec se3p preamp.it cost 25.66 euro and i could have 4 knobs than 5 and i could put one more control.so i though i could buy a piezo bridge and put a blend control and its all ok.but if i have to take a more expensive preamp plus the cost of the piezo,i think is to much for my situation
  15. saved

saved

what if i get an acustic bass pream for the piezo and blend it withe other preamp?
  16. Jazz Ad

It will work just fine.
  17. saved

saved

then thats i will do.thaks all of you for the help :hyper:
  18. Roscoe East

Roscoe East

Jeebus, I'll bet! That not only looks like a killer bass, but your description of the electronics sounds absolutely delish!
  19. saved

saved

you telling that i can wire the piezo and the pickups in the same preamp without a problem?
  20. line6man

line6man

Only if the preamp has two or more inputs, and the input impedances are appropriate for each source.
  21. raz1972

raz1972