2 String Bass Anyone?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by fourstringgirl, Jan 1, 2014.

1. Here's a pair that a local bassist uses. Talk about from one extreme to the other!

2. georgestrings

georgestrings Banned

Nov 5, 2005
    Hahahahaha!!!! - I bet that person can play, and has a great sense of humor as well... Nice pics...

- georgestrings
  3. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player

Jun 12, 2008
    Mark Sandman of Morphine played 2-string slide bass, tuned to a fifth, IIRC. And he was awesome. More as a composer/vocalist than as a bassist, mind you, but he got an evening's worth of catchy basslines out of that thing. Didn't look like that shaved-down blue thing, though. It looked like a mutant pawn-shop special, a four-string neck with an exaggerated scroll, on which he strung just the A and D strings.
  4. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player

Jun 12, 2008
    Sandman with that bass - it wasn't the headstock that had the scroll, it was the horn!

5. Sponsored by:

6. lz4005

Oct 22, 2013
    I dig it.
    Playing with only 2 strings is a fun challenge.
  7. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

Jul 31, 2008
    Mark Sandman played a Premier bass. :)
  8. Thisguy

Sep 28, 2013
    Abilene TX
    Late 80's there was a Danish band called Disneyland after Dark that had a bass player that used a two string bass.

Ahh the 80's videos were the best. :D
  9. hillerup

hillerup Supporting Member

Aug 26, 2009
    Copenhagen, Denmark
    Just do a search on Google for "stig d.a.d." and you will get tons of pictures of Stig Pedersen fom the danish band D.A.D.

Stig has a HUGE collection of custom made 2-string basses in all sorts of wierd shapes (Olive with a toothpick running through, Sidewinder missile etc.) - All fun stuff!

These are just some of his basses...
  10. If you can track one down, there was also a 2-string bass called the Longbow.
  11. MikeWfromNJ

MikeWfromNJ Supporting Member

Jan 5, 2010
    Central NJ
    The guy with the olive toothpick is going to be hard to beat but the Presidents of the USA played with guitars strung like 2 string Bass and 3 string Guitar.

If you are old enough, you might remember their somewhat limited success in the mid-90s. They were from Seattle I think.
  12. Un-freakin-believable! lol :D
  13. DannyBob

Aug 28, 2013
  14. tappingtrance

tappingtrance Cooke Harvey

Jul 27, 2005
    Funniest thing - my band was playing a local fest and the following band was a Morphine tribute - the guy played a Ric with 2 strings - the first song (I kid you not) he broke a string - finished with a 1 string.
  15. PatQ

May 11, 2011
    Siegburg, Germany
    Sandberg Curstom 1 String Plasma Bass :)

16. frankieC

frankieC A swell guy from Warren Harding High

Jul 21, 2012
    I've never seen (or at least never noticed) a 2 string bass before. I want one! lol
  17. kohntarkosz

kohntarkosz Banned

Oct 29, 2013
    Edinburgh - Scotland
    I think Mark Sandman is probably the most notable bassist to only use two strings.

His bass was a cheapo Premier model he customised himself.

Waterstone made a Mark Sandman tribute model, years after his passing. It doesn't quite 'get' the vibe right. See anything wrong?
  18. Didn't Twiggy used to play one or two, way back?
  19. Stick_Player

Stick_Player Banned

Nov 13, 2009
    Somewhere on the Alaska Panhandle (Juneau)
    Endorser: Plants vs. Zombies Pea Shooters
    Why stop at two strings?

20. tabooze24

tabooze24 Supporting Member

jeeze...That one bass with the "switched" headstock-body looks freaky!!!