2 things...judgmental musicians and a guitarist rant

Discussion in 'Miscellaneous [BG]' started by zeppfan90, Apr 5, 2014.

1. zeppfan90

zeppfan90

These two topics sort of go together. I'll start with this guitarist first. Older guitarist probably in his 50's. I see him around at jams and such. He's not a bad guy, but he's one of those people that just finds something wrong with what everyone does except for him. No exaggerations. I think he believes that everyone sucks except for him and a couple famous guitarists. The thing is that he only sounds good when he plays by himself.

Which leads to..why are musicians(not all, I know..but some or even a lot) so judgmental of each others skills or way others play? It seems like you have to be the next jimmy page or victor wooten to get any respect from other musicians. And if you like to keep it basic and simple, then apparently you suck. It seems like the only ones that don't judge by skills all the time are non musicians. I thought music was about expression and fun. Apparently it seems to be more of who's better than who nowadays.

2. tmdazed

tmdazed

around here , I find its quite the opposite , I have been to many open mics and shows and have seen nothing short of great support for local and traveling acts, by other musicians. Could be a regional thing , of course you do get your people who think its a competition , but they get weeded out fairly quickly. Its nice to see live music on an upswing in my region

3. Kmonk

Kmonk

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Fender, Spector, Ampeg, Curt Mangan Strings
    I don't think musicians are any more or less judgmental than anyone else. Some people just go through life with a miserable attitude, some like to point out flaws in others to draw attention away from their own inadequacies.

4. spade2you

spade2you

+1 and they just happen to be guitarists. As I've grown up, I realize that some people are just miserable and enjoy trying to take it out on others.

5. Register to disable this ad