1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

20 year HS reunion... Blah

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by zachoff, Dec 8, 2013.

1. zachoff

zachoff

Someone started my 20 year HS reunion group on the facebook today. Denial isn't just a river in Africa. :atoz:

Apparently, 1994 was a while ago.
  2. blastoff99

blastoff99 Supporting Member

I'm very sorry. But I can empathize. My 25th was a summer or two ago. I live a mile from my high school. Did I go? No. I never got an invite. Nobody could find me. :hyper: Talk about hiding in plain sight!
  3. kikstand454

kikstand454 Supporting Member

Ditto.

My 20 was this year, and even though I was in touch with the planners and less than 20miles from the event.... I didn't go. Just didn't feel like it I guess.
    man I'm old. Lol.
  4. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

My graduating class was 1100 people. There was nothing for 10 years and I doubt there'll be anything for 20.
  5. ShoeManiac

ShoeManiac Supporting Member

There was a group on Facebook for my High School's 20th reunion. At first I was mildly interested. But after thinking about it some more I could not think of a good reason to go as I barely stay in contact with anyone from High School. So why bother? I skipped it out of sheer disinterest.
  6. PAC

PAC

The Nile is in Egypt. The Amazon is in Africa.
    Just sayin.

Paul

:D
  7. 3234718

:eyebrow:
  8. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

Wow you just reminded me mine would be next year which pretty much makes me want to die. I was never invited to the ten year. I didn't know it even happened until some of my former hs friends told me. I suspect it's possible they did call my dad (only way they could have known how to reach me) but he forgot to tell me which would be typical Probably wouldn't have went though. Definitely would not go for the 20th. Don't need to be asked what i'm up to from the select few who'd remember me. There wasn't really anyone there i ever cared much to meet again to be honest.
  9. BassChuck

BassChuck Supporting Member

If you attended a public HS, the major thing you had in common with all the people around you was that your home was in the same community. After graduation, you were more or less grouped with people of your choosing, either by college or job.
  10. Milk

Milk Supporting Member

I never found people of really similar interest and opinion in either college or job. Then again, i did make bad choices (like i didn't finish college for example...)
  11. bloobass

bloobass

Not to derail, but Wow...I just didn't know what to make of this...

Was it meant to be humor?

I 2nd the :eyebrow::eyebrow:
  12. 3234718

Well, technically Africa and South America used to be connected, but I don't think that's what he meant.
  13. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I still get together with my friends from high school once a year around Christmas. Not sure if I would go to a reunion.

lowsound
  14. SoVeryTired

SoVeryTired Endorsing nothing, recommending much Supporting Member

Not... sure... if... serious...
  15. Jim Nazium

Jim Nazium Supporting Member

I know there are people who really like attending their HS reunions, and that's cool. I'm happy for them. I just don't happen to be one of them. I graduated in 1983, and I haven't spoken to a single one of my HS classmates since 1984. I can't imagine having anything at all to talk about.
  16. geeza

geeza

Disclosures:
    Huh?
    :rollno: Where's the facepalm smilie when you need it?
  17. DWBass

DWBass The Funkfather Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Kohlman Bassworks
    HS Reunions are weird! The first few, I never knew about as they're really wasn't a way to find folks who no longer live in town or who aren't in contact with anyone involved. One year my sister calls me and tells me she's AT the reunion! I was like "why didn't someone say something to me about it?" Anyway, made the next 2 (they were annual 70's [all classes] reunions). Saw a LOT of folks I hadn't seen since 1977 (this was 2010). Last years was an actual reunion for my class of 1977. which was really nice and intimate. Some folks, after 35 years, still act all snooty and uppity! Most were nice. Met a lot of folks I never knew in HS. Reconnected with some I lost touch with. Looking forward to my 40th in a few years!
  18. halfjackson

halfjackson Supporting Member

Say what?
  19. PAC

PAC

Recalculating
  20. mellowinman

mellowinman

I went to my 10 year. It was back when I still drank, and drink I did! I hit on most of the women there, and they thought it was "cute." Which is better than it could've gone. I told the "school fox" I had always had a crush on her, and she made it pretty clear she'd already heard that a few times that day. Then I invited everyone to my friend Scott's hotel room for a party. The problem? Scott didn't plan on throwing a party, and he really didn't consider himself to be friends with me anymore. I guess the joke was on him.

I was obnoxious as hell, and somehow got away with it, like a 28 year old guy acting like a frat boy is somehow endearing. Thank God I quit drinking.

I've never gone to any others, because, frankly, I don't care. I didn't like High School, and now that there's facebook, I am still in touch with all the people I ever did like, and most of them wouldn't go to a reunion anyway.

For perspective, I would've graduated in 1981, if I had actually graduated.