20 years of playing bass, and I just bought my first non-Mesa amp.

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Benjamin Strange, Nov 10, 2012.

1. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    Owner / Tech: Strange Guitarworks
    I've been lugging Mesa/Boogie amps around for almost 20 years now. In addition to my now-famous Bass Triaxis and Strategy 500 rig, I've owned the M-2000, Buster, Walkabout, and many of their tube power amps and cabs (including guitar amps!). I love, love, love my Mesa amps, but my life has led me in a peculiar direction and I needed something small, powerful, and lightweight - something that Mesa just doesn't do just yet. So, in a moment of weakness, I picked this up:

[​IMG]

It feels a little weird owning something that doesn't have the Mesa name on it, and playing something without tubes is just... strange. But! It's super lightweight, and it's loud. Tone was of minimal concern. My reasoning was this: I needed something for small to medium gigs that I can carry in a single trip, and I couldn't spend much money (this is 1/5 the price of the smallest Mesa combo). This fit the bill.

You know how when you get a new piece of gear home and you play with it for hours on end? That didn't happen here - I pulled it out of the box, made sure it worked, and then stuck it in a corner to await my next gig. Weird, huh?

My Bass Triaxis is essentially retired from touring, after about 15 years on the road and in the studio. It will remain the cornerstone of my sound, and I will never part with it. But the drunks at the bar don't care how awesome my bass rig is - they just want to dance, get drunk, and screw. So I guess I'm reluctantly a GK guy now... or at least until Mesa finally decides to make a D class amp.

Attached Files:

2. two fingers

two fingers Loud Mouth Know It All Blowhard Gold Supporting Member

Cool. What is it? (model)

3. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

What a glowing review ;). BTW it isn't class D that makes light weight, it is SMPS that save the most weight.
    Which model is it you bought?

4. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    Oh yeah - it's a MB-112II. Heh... I had to walk over to look at the amp to see what it was I bought. :rollno:

What's SMPS?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

Switch Mode Power Supply. Much, much smaller (and lighter) power transformer than a line frequency power supply.
    Should do very nicely and if you need more the MBP powered cab can be added from the "chain out" in any flavor you desire http://www.gallien-krueger.com/products/powered-cabinets/

7. Baird6869

Baird6869 Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Nobody is stupid enough to actually pay me to play their gear.
    +1.:D

8. MuthaFunk

MuthaFunk

LOL! You guys kill me!

9. B-string

I do my part to keep some degree of humor :p :cool:

10. Webtroll

Webtroll Rolling for initiative Supporting Member

11. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    It's the one on the bottom.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

12. rapidfirerob

rapidfirerob Fusion rules! Supporting Member

Thanks for the link. Now I can see where the knobs are on the thing. Adding a second cab underneath, like the photo on the GK site would give you a killer rig.

13. ChuckTrucks

ChuckTrucks

Holy crap that's the first Bass Triaxis Ive seen!!!

I just bought a GK MB112II and the 1x12 powered enclosure to match it.

I too needed something for small bar gigs that I can carry in the extended cab of my truck. The amp and the cab fit perfectly behind both seats. The setup has a nice amount of volume and low end while still maintaining a small footprint. It has exceeded my expectations. The 1x12 by itself is very good but adding the bottom cab just makes it a lot better. I didn't want to end up overworking the amp to play with drums so the powered cab made a ton of sense.

I didn't want to throw a ton of money at a small setup so I figured around $700 for a 2x12 setup that I will use 2-3 times a month will be fine as long as we dont lose our gigs or the equipment dies.

14. Benjamin Strange

Benjamin Strange

Disclosures:
    It's the only one you'll see. Mine is the only prototype made (true, they modded a few for a handful of people, but this is an actual prototype for a production run that never happened).

15. Carl Hillman

Carl Hillman

I've been using a SWR Basic Black for 20? years now, and I've finally sprung for the Walkabout Scout 1X12.

When I bought the SWR, I was under the gun time-wise. I needed an amp right away and didn't have time to shop around. I was forced to get something from the limited selection at one of the local Guitar Centers. (Also, at the time, I probably couldn't have afforded a Mesa.)

I'm still learning how to voice the EQ for optimal sound on electric and upright, but this thing puts out a remarkable amount of sound for such a small amp.

It looks to be the perfect thing for gigs in which I have to play both basses. The SWR was too big and flabby for the acoustic, and my Acoustic Image didn't have enough balls and presence for the electric.

It was expensive, but it may just be the last amp I ever buy.

16. Vandy

Vandy Banned

What?
    And, you call yourself a bass player . . . :D

17. Blankandson

Blankandson

18. corinpills

corinpills

I'll keep an eye on your big tube Mesa amps if you like, just out of the goodness of my heart.