1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2001 Fender 50th Anniversary Precision in sonic blue?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Rob S, Aug 16, 2013.

1. Rob S

Rob S

Can anyone confirm or absolutely dismiss the possibility that some of the 2001 50th Anniversary Precision limited edition basses were made with original sonic blue paint/finish?

We've all seen the trans-butterscotch basses. Today I learned of one the seller swears is original sonic blue. However, I can find no mention of this color for that bass anywhere.

Thanks for any information!

Best,
    Rob

2. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Never heard of it either. But there's one way to find out...send Fender the serial.

3. JimB52

JimB52 User Gold Supporting Member

The 1996 50th Anniversary (of Fender) Precision was available in Sonic Blue I think.

The 2001 50th Anniversary (of the Electric Bass) Precision was only sold in Butterscotch.

4. emblymouse

emblymouse I Dig A Pony Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist Lakland**Bag End**Schroeder
    I saw that too. In addition to the color these did not come with the covers either. Not sayin' it's bogus, but it does make it unusual. My understanding is the head of the Custom Shop at that time was named Black and this series was his baby. He signed at least some of these necks, maybe the seller would be kind enough remove it for photo. I will take mine off too and can post it.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Pet Sounds

Pet Sounds

I can dismiss it. I bought one when they came out and it was butterscotch only.

7. Rob S

Rob S

Thanks guys. I appreciate it. I think they only came in butterscotch too and in a posting for one of these for sale here on TB, there is a chart from a catalog page mentioning the butterscotch finish with no mention of sonic blue.

Thank you again very much.