1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2001 Fender American Jazz Bass

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by CfoScoop, Mar 19, 2014.

1. CfoScoop

CfoScoop Supporting Member

So, I found a 2001 Fender American Standard Jazz bass with a maple fretboard and an ash body. It's pretty much exactly what I've been looking for. Only problem, it's on eBay and I wouldn't be able to play it ahead of time. Thoughts on online purchasing? And also thoughts on this bass in general?

2. Mike Sorr

Mike Sorr Hack with nice gear. Supporting Member

I do it all the time. I can't remember the last time I bought a bass that I played ahead of time. Maybe I've just been lucky, but I've managed to get some really great instruments online, either here on TB or on eBay.

3. prokopenkor

prokopenkor

It was all good all the time. Go for it.

4. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Anything specific you would like to know about the bass?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. CfoScoop

CfoScoop Supporting Member

Whatever you got. I'm curious what others think about it.

7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I would have had the twin to it back in about '03/04 ... one of the few that I should have hung onto ... sold it in probably '07 for $600 shipped, with the original case and two pickguards .. it was perfect .. wouldn't touch that for under $900+ today ...

For starters, it is not an American Standard ... Fender had discontinued that name by the time this was made in '01, it would be considered American Series ...

...the bass new was actually a $100-150 'upcharge' from the alder bodied basses (except 3TSB) in the AmSeries, they did the same thing for the Sunset Orange Ash body they put out in the AmSeries ... '01 would pre-date the S-1 switch, that did not come in on the AmSeries until later in '03 ...

... this would have came with the guitar shaped moulded case as new, the one with the 'pebbled' finish on the top, with the outline of a bass on it, two straps holding the top, one at each end ... the later AmSeries basses used a cheaper model case, the '01 should have a good one.

The finish is very good on these, but I did see a bit of an issue occuring on a few from that year where the black dot fret markers woud actually 'cloud over' a bit .. a couple on mine were starting to do it, and I saw it on a few other (maple board) basses from that era ...

.. about the only other note, would be that the bridge on this is going to be string thru body (STB) only, as the option to top load did not come along until about a year+ later on the late '02 and '03 models ... threaded saddles on the bridge, machine heads would be of the heavier variety that were also used on the early AmStandards (pre-2000), and all through the AmSeries (until '08)... stock pickups would have been the 33746/53 set, 250K pots, .05 cap ...

Fender only offered this nat finish ash body for the first couple years of the AmSeries, so they tend to be in fairly limited availability on the used market ... so it probably is not going to go cheap .. good luck

8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Not sure if it is the one you were looking at, but I just saw an '01 nat ash Jazz ending on Ebay very shortly ... up to 1K with $50 shipping ... it appears to be as mentioned above, STB only, original components, and with the accurate case ...