2002 Fender Standard (MIM) black P-bass with red tort pick guard

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassman_al, Dec 26, 2013.

1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Hi TB,
    I am offering up for local sale only another of my CL "closet" basses that I have cleaned up. I found this one this past summer. A guy living in CA was looking to sell his gear that he had owned for some time but had never really played. This bass was sitting in his parents house in a climate controlled environment in a very nice upper middle class home in Vienna, VA for the better part of 10 years. It was dirty and in need of a thorough cleaning and a set-up, but once I was done I realized I had found a real gem. Since then I have enjoyed playing it at home and on gigs.

I need to emphasize that this MIM bass sets up perfectly to Fender specs, with no problems whatsoever. Truss rod turns easily. Neck and body align perfectly with one another. No shims or other types of measures are required. Action is beautiful. This bass plays every bit as nicely as my USA P-bass. The neck feels great. The bass is well-balanced on my shoulder and is a very comfortable weight. Definitely on the lighter side. The frets are practically unplayed and are seated very evenly on the fretboard.

I added a new red tort pick guard as soon as I bought it. I no longer have the original white guard. Otherwise the bass is stock.

I have a SKB "Freedom" molded hard shell case in excellent condition, minus a slight "warp" in the plastic causing a very light "bubble" effect on one side of the case. Not very noticeable. Has a few scuffs, but Armor All did a nice job of cleaning it up. I also have a Road Runner hard molded hard shell case that is in better overall shape, but is missing one latch. It functions fine using the other 3, I have been using it and have not encountered any problems at all. Its a nice case and is almost identical to the SKB case. If you prefer to save some money, I will sell the bass with a gig bag for $375.

Here are some pics I took this week of the bass and the case. I spent several hours detailing this bass. It is in fantastic shape overall. There is a finish imperfection just north of the neck pocket. Close up pics that I took will show that it is very slight and really undetectable from a distance of a foot or more. And there are 2 very small "dot" dings on the bottom of the bass. I attempted to repair them with CA glue. I can re-do the repair if you want since I now understand what I did wrong the first time, or I can leave it. The dings are smooth to the touch, but visually it looks like the dings are still there since there were bubbles in the CA finish as it dried. I put too much of the stuff on at once, rather than patiently layer the CA glue as I was told to do. The only other imperfection are some surface scratches near the top of the pick guard. I was able to reduce them somewhat using Guitar Scratch Remover. They are still visible if you tilt the bass in the right light, but honestly I did not even notice them myself until well after I bought the bass. And that was before I applied the Scratch Remover. Most people who have seen this bass tell me that it looks brand new.

$425 for the bass, hard case, new cleaning cloth, and a new set of light gauge GHS "Brite Flats." If there is another type of string you prefer, I will buy and install for you at no extra charge, provided the strings you want are the same cost or less as the GHS strings. I am hoping for a local sale, but I will ship CONUS if buyer pays for shipping.

I took many pics, available at
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanpachter/sets/72157638946719854/

Below are some of these pics:

[​IMG]
    DSCN2248 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2251 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2253 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2266 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2264 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2271 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2250 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2259 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2255 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2245 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN2256 by alanpachter, on Flickr
  2. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! Supporting Member

Slick bass Al......thats a GEM!!
  3. bassman_al

Thanks Denny! I agree! If it weren't for the passive Deluxe P-bass Special that I bought recently, this black beauty would be staying right where she is now! One comes in, another must go out...
  4. JCheung

JCheung Supporting Member

Wow I never see a bass I'm interested in that's local to me. I wish I had the funds to afford a P bass. Glwts
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman_al

Still have it...
  7. bassman_al

2014 bump. Still available
  8. bassman_al

One more day on E-bay, as a re-list. I think January may be a rough month to sell a bass... Bump in case anyone has any money left over from Christmas...