1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2002 MIM Precision Bass Special Deluxe Series - Rare Passive Model with Gold Ano'd PG

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by landau roof, Nov 7, 2013.

1. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

This is the model before they went to the active electronics, noiseless pickups and weird gold vinyl pickguard.

In beautiful Candy Apple Red, 1.5" Jazz width neck with vintage tint, 9.5" radius, vintage threaded saddle bridge.

In overall excellent condition for its age, there is some minor play wear on the body here and there, but nothing significant. Weighs 9.5 lbs on postal scale.

$475 shipped CONUS including a rough hard case.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]
  2. No Coast Rider

No Coast Rider

0   0   0

I used to have one of these in white with a maple board, my brother in law has it now. What an amazing bass, wish I had it back. I like it a lot better than the new active model. No wonder they brought it back recent as a US Special model. I'd buy it if I hadnt just bought a fretless 2weeks ago haha. GLWS!
  3. landau roof

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Thanks, buddy. I prefer it to the active model, too.
  4. Bassbubble11

Bassbubble11 Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0

I have the same bass in black. Great bass. Very
    versatile. Mine was my main gigging bass for years.
  5. landau roof

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Thanks for the shout!
  6. Ed P

Ed P Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    22   0   0

7. ilovenofrets

ilovenofrets Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    24   0   0

8. lynott-forever

lynott-forever

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0

Someone jump on this! Rare and a wicked deal!
  9. landau roof

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

A person who knows of what they speak, folks.

For int'l shipping, let me know where you're at and I'll get a quote.
  10. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

This one sell yet? Just curious, and free bump! Just picked one up locally, excited to try it out!
  11. MasterBass!

MasterBass! Reaching new Highs in Lows!! Supporting Member

Rating - 99.5%
    259   1   0

You'll love it Al....these passives are mucho better IMO than the actives!!

(thats actually a free bump):D
  12. bassman_al

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

Yeah Denny I hear great things about the passives. Looks like my MIM black P-bass may soon be for sale... And another free bump!!
  13. landau roof

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Thanks, gents.

Still have it.
  14. bassman_al

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

Ok I can't help myself. Just to give people a comparison point: last night I happily paid $350 locally (which is the going rate here in DC for a plain old MIM J or P bass in excellent condition) for a similar bass as the one offered in this thread. The one I bought has a couple very slight dings in the body, near perfect neck and headstock, but otherwise is identical to this bass here. Same weight as my MIM P-bass, which I consider to be a nice weight, never taxing on my back after a full 4 set gig.

I played it a bit last night and holy cow, what a bass. Nicely balanced, no neck dive. No more decisions about which bass to take to the gig, P or J. The vintage tint and vintage bridge are a really nice touch. The finish of the neck clearly separates this model from other MIM P and J basses. The back of the neck is a bit more glossy than MIM models typically are. Mine came with a paper-thin gig bag that is most likely going out with next week's trash. And we all know that even a "rough" hard case is better than most gig bags. My point? Landau is offering a tremendous bass, with a case and shipping included, for only $75 more than you are going to pay locally for the same bass plus gig bag on CL. And you have the peace of mind that comes with his good rep here on TB. The bass offered here could easily be your next main gigging bass for the next several years. I know that is going to be the case for me.
  15. landau roof

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Thanks for the props, Al. I'm asking right about going rate on eBay. On occasion, they do go for less because an unknowing owner might price them like a Mexi Standard, but you have to wait, seek out and find the deal. Good luck on that.

Sounds like you did pretty well on yours. Congrats to you, sir.
  16. bassman_al

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

Landau,

Hey I just want to make sure that what I am saying is clear. It is my conclusion that your price is better than any price I have seen here on TB or on E-bay. I routinely pay over $100 to UPS every time I ship a bass (although I am sure there are cheaper ways to get it done - still even the cheapest would cost minimum $35-50 I would guess), and the most common/best deals for a Fender Standard MIM J or P bass that I have ever seen for a Standard are here on TB @ $400 shipped with no case. And that is for Standard P's and J's. The P-bass Special bass I bought was listed on E-bay at the time I bought it. The auction was already up to $360 plus shipping, with several days left on the auction.

Yours is truly a rare gem. The passive pickups sound great together, and the tone combinations are fantastic as well as numerous. That pickguard also really stands out as being different and special.

Last night I picked up all my basses, just to see if the new one was any heavier. My lightest basses are the 2 P's that I have, and this one did not seem any heavier. Having J tones come out of a comfy-to-wear P body, imho, is as good as it gets.

I also compared the amber tint to my AV/RI '62 jazz neck, which has a really nice color. The P-bass Special looked darn close to that same color tone! The tint and the old school bridge on this P/J model give a nice nod to Fender's past, without quite throwing this model into the RI class, which helps make it a very affordable bass and, again imho, the best used bass for the money that I have ever seen.

And as the previous owner of the one I just bought said to me, "...and it looks like Iron Man!" I thought that was pretty funny!

OK, I promise I am done now! Good luck with the sale!
  17. landau roof

Rating - 100%
    21   0   0

Understood, buddy. And we're fine to chat it up here. Never thought Ironman, but yeah, I guess it does.

[​IMG]

Thanks again!
  18. soxhats

soxhats Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    36   0   0

These are outstanding basses for the money. GLWTS.
  19. bassman_al

Rating - 100%
    57   0   0

Don't tell me this bass is still for sale?
  20. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Rating - 100%
    220   0   0

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    pm'd' thx