1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2002 Yamaha RBX-170

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Splintered Skul, Sep 19, 2013.

1. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

This guy has a deal on craigslist going; Yamaha rbx-170 and a little guitar combo amp for $60. Price is so low because he is flying out. Now I was gonna bite. Probably resell the amp; but my question is: Is the RBX a nice enough little bass to put the money into upgrading the pickups? Sound like its worth more? Or should I just resell it? I was looking to get a P/J bass, so how does an upgraded yamaha stack against upgraded squires?
  2. WallyN

WallyN

well, one of my first bass's was a Yamaha RBX260 - which had the p pickup only. It was a great bass. Very light, slim neck and it copped a pretty good P tone. For 60 bucks plus an amp I figure it's win/win. For next to nothing you can test it out and even if it's not for you you can flip it for an easy 100.
  3. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

That was my thinking on it. Reviews I read said it was a decent bass (although that was the current year/model). However, a friend of mine denounces everything about it and claims it as essentially a cheap piece of crap.
  4. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

5. 3234718

3234718 Supporting Member

I think your friend is silly. Yamaha makes perfectly decent entry-level basses. I'd gladly pay 60 bucks for that bass alone, assuming it works.
  6. WallyN

WallyN

Yeah I second the Yamaha plug, every Yamaha bass I have ever picked up was decent. Billy Sheehan and Michael Anthony seem to think so too.

As long as the neck is good and the electronics aren't screwed up. I think 60 bucks is a crazy good price. Hell, you can drop more than that on a meal and a bottle of wine.
  7. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Alright, thanks for the input guys. Going to go meet him tonight and check it out
  8. DiabolusInMusic

DiabolusInMusic Functionless Art is Merely Tolerated Vandalism Supporting Member

This. I have flipped piles of entry level basses in my day, the Yamaha RBX line was always pleasantly surprising. They were never anything outstanding but they were a great value.

I personally wouldn't put money into one but if you really want to go for it, just remember though, no matter how many mods/how much cash you dump into that bass it will always be a $100 bass.
  9. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

If the tones decent I just might leave it as is and use it for a practice bass or something. I wouldn't get any money back out otherwise
  10. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

Well that bass was crap.
  11. awakefie

awakefie Supporting Member

Do tell. Was it in bad shape?
  12. Splintered Skul

Splintered Skul

For starters, it was a short scale. So I'm not sure it was actually a rbx 170 unless they made a short scale option back then. Secondly, the guy SPRAY PAINTED IT! With all the hardware, pickups, etc still attached. I opened up the back to look at the wire connections, didn't look bad but I saw the original red color and where his blue color ran down into it. Besides this, it is chipped and beaten. Now, I still play the thing just because I'm polite. Through a guitar amp because its all he has. Sounds dead. Whether it was the bass or the amp; doesn't really matter. But that meeting took me all of 5 minutes.
  13. awakefie

awakefie Supporting Member

Thanks for the closure.