1. A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

2. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

To mark your thread sold, edit the title and choose the "SOLD" prefix. See the FAQ for more info

2003 USA Precision with S-1 switch FS or partial trade

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by bassman_al, Feb 5, 2014.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. bassman_al

bassman_al Supporting Member

I have a 2003 USA Fender American Standard Precision. I will post pics soon. It is black on black, with a rosewood neck, with original pickguard. Original parts. Wearing a brand new set of D'Addario light gauge rounds. I previously said in this thread that I would put on a new pickguard. After looking at the bass for a while today in the daylight as I was taking a new set of daytime pics, I decided that the original pickguard is in good shape. I have decided to save the new pickguard for a bass that really needs one. If the buyer would like the new pickguard, I will install it for an additional $20.

I have updated this thread with those new daytime pics. Here they are for your viewing pleasure. Anyone remember the old Batman TV series from the 60's? "Catwoman sexy" is how I would describe this bass!

If the buyer would like, I can order some Dunlop "Dual Design" strap buttons that are more widely flanged than stock, and are black in color. They look really nice on black basses. I have them on all my basses. Love them with and without the accompanying strap lock system.

I gave this bass a thorough cleaning and set-up, including un-freezing and then lubing the truss nut. The truss nut and rod now work perfectly, and the nut turns like butter. I love lithium grease!

The bass sets up and plays wonderfully. I have it set for zero relief and it stills plays great, with no buzzing or clanking at all! Electronics are all in perfect shape.

I will let the pics do the remainder of the talking. I am looking for $700 plus shipping. I prefer a local sale. I am also willing to consider a trade for a MIM J or P bass in excellent condition plus $500 cash from you. I am also willing to consider other partial trades, especially for small gear that has cash sale value and would be inexpensive for me to ship, since I would probably end up selling anything I pick up in a trade.

Thanks for looking! As always, I took way more pics than most people would care to look at. There are some headstock dings that I wanted to show. And one scratch by the truss notch that I stupidly made when I was not so carefully adjusting the truss rod. If you want to see all 73 photos I have taken, they can be viewed at:
    http://www.flickr.com/photos/alanpachter/sets/72157640568815724/with/12562876745/

[​IMG]
    DSCN3417 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN3426 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN3427 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN3429 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN3423 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN3415 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN3381 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN3383 by alanpachter, on Flickr

[​IMG]
    DSCN3387 by alanpachter, on Flickr
  2. radmin

radmin Supporting Member

what does the switch do?
  3. zhollywood

zhollywood

The s-1 switch is located as a push button on one of the knobs. That was a feature that was marketed as being able to make a P sound like a J and a J as a P. It's pretty nifty!
  4. bassman_al

Nifty, indeed!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassman_al

sale pending. This bass may be headed to Russia!
  7. bassman_al

I'm pretty sure this bass is sold and heading to Russia, based on the buyers interest level and his feedback rating here on TB. But if for some reason that deal falls through, I am still taking offers as a backup plan.

Please keep in mind that the partial trade really is only for MIM basses, please. And a sale is what I prefer. I am willing to ship if the buyer pays for shipping. I shipped a bass to Florida this week via Fed Ex for $70. mid west or west coast I imagine would be more.
  8. bassman_al

So the guy decided to buy an all original '79 P-bass for $900 instead of mine! Can you believe the nerve!
    ;)
    Can't blame him, there.

And the Chattanooga Choo Choo that was takin' this baby to Tennessee derailed as well.

Bottom line: the shop is open and ready for business. Bump for newfound availability.

I'm figuring there has to be some of you out there who wouldn't mind a nice USA black-on-black P-bass with S-1, in excellent overall cosmetic condition and stupendous mechanical/musical condition.
  9. bassman_al

Bump for offers.
  10. bassman_al

New pics I took this morning.
  11. bassman_al

Also I will share that it weighed in at 8.8 lbs. on my digital bathroom scale this morning. I got a PM this morning requesting a weight measurement. Very comfortable weight in my opinion. And I'm sensitive to bass weight since I'm 45 and on the smaller side.
  12. ac11367

ac11367 Supporting Member

I have the same exact bass, made in the same year, and it's very comfortable to play, and has a pretty big sound as I had it equipped with a DiMarzio Model P pickup. I love this bass.

I do have a question, for which I've Googled to no avail, with regard to whether the neck is graphite-reinforced. Was Fender graphite-reinforcing its standard USA Precisions as far back as 2003?
  13. bassman_al

Very good question. I am not sure. I know that many people complain about Fender necks and dead spots. Maybe its the type of music I play, or the strings, or the attack and approach to the instrument, but I have never noticed that. And the P necks especially seem to need very minimal adjustment throughout the year, despite the fact that I live in a true 4 season climate. My '98 P really only needs a very slight turn about once a year if that. And pretty sure that bass is not reinforcement. But not positive...
  14. bassman_al

15. bassman_al

16. bassman_al

Sold locally to TB-er Jcheung for $700. Thanks, Justin!

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.