1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2005 Warwick Thumb BO 5 B string click issue

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by samb0123, Dec 10, 2013.

1. samb0123

samb0123

Got a thumb 5 about a week ago and it's in really good condition, but noticed when I play it through my GK rig I get a click sort of sound coming from the B string. Doesn't happen all the time but more often or it. I also noticed a lot of background noise (sounds more like wind) wen I turn the mid up on the bass. I tried the bass at band practise last using a mark bass head and an ampeg 8x10 cab. Could the problem be because the GK heads and cabs are brighter than other brands such as mark bass therefore making background noise more noticeable? If it's not this could it be the electronics/pots/or in need of a new battery? I can post a video of the sounds if it helps.
  2. samb0123

samb0123

Anyone ??
  3. nukes_da_bass

nukes_da_bass Supporting Member

Could be pickup height. Could be EQ. could be batteries. Change the batteries, set the eq flat on the amp and the bass. If nothing changes see how close the B string is to the pickup(s) when you are fretting the string on the neck- the string should still clear both pickups.
  4. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I've got an 06, no problems like you mention. Battery change is a quick, cheap start to troubleshooting and hopefully resolving your problem.
  5. 77PBass

77PBass

I have a Dolphin Pro I and depending on string height and how I pluck the string I get a click as well. It doesn't happen when I play my
    Fender JB probably because of the fingerboard radius. When playing the Dolphin I tend to pluck closer to the bridge and it isn't a problem.

What is an annoyance to one person may be a feature to another. If you play slap style and do the left hand smack on the strings when doing triplet rolls, they really stand out on a Warwick. This technique on a JB is isn't as crisp sounding.
  6. Nephilymbass

Nephilymbass Supporting Member

I owned several warwicks including a bolt on and neck through thumb 5. I had some weird radio signals coming through my old rig at one of the places my band used to practice at. It sounded like am radio or something. I think It had more to do with the amp i was using because when i switched from an swr750x/810e rig to my sans amp RBI setup it went away. My guess is the radio noise was mostly because of the tube pre on my swr head. As for the uncontrollable clicking i would experiment with different strings. My favorite set to use on both my thumb basses was the DR high beams with a .125 low b. It's not a tapered set but the strings fit with a little effort. Also look to see if the b string is hitting the pickup, its ussually not much of an issue with those pickups but with almost all exposed pole pickups and a few that aren't exposed if the string gets close enough to the poles it will send a square wave to the amp. I discovered that in the studio while recording and actually being able to visualize the sound wave.
  7. samb0123

samb0123

just an update, i think the problem is that the pick up doesnt seem stable, it moves slighty when i rest my thumb on it and play, and i think the clicking sound is coming from the pick up when it moves slighty. anyway i can secure the pick up better ?