1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2008 era P bass - factory vs aftermarket sound clips?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Dec 9, 2012.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Anyone have sound clips comparing the stock MIA p bass pickups on a 2008 era P bass to aftermarket ones? I'm mostly interested in the custom shop 60s, Seymour Duncan spb1 or the angular 60s one. Thanks!
  2. tonymcbony

tonymcbony

I do but they're between stock, NP4 and the Fralin P
  3. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Cool, would love to hear em
  4. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

5. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

In my 08 I've tried: stock, SPB1, Fender Originals, Aguilar, Lollar, Vintage Vibe, Novak and Antiquity II.

All the aftermarket ones were a more classic take compared to the stock pickup. I found the SPB1 and Fenders to be my favorites by far, with a slight edge to Fender (at least for now). They are also two of the cheaper options.
  6. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Wow. How big of a difference did they make compared to say string choice or amp choice?
  7. Coughdrops

Coughdrops Supporting Member

Amp choice def has the most noticeable sound changing effect. All else being equal, most of those pickups offered incremental changes in sound and in some cases I think you'd never notice on a gig. Having been through all those, I would invest minimally if you are going to experiment. Start with the Fenders or SPB1 first and see what you think.
  8. reverendrally

reverendrally