2008 mim fender j.bass 4 strings

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by himluis1, Jan 9, 2013.

1. himluis1

himluis1

hey there !!! i bought a fender j.bass on craigslist is a mim 2008 model in almost new condition from a kid that didn't play much , it had plastic on the pickguard etc etc , as my main bass ( active deluxe jazz bass mim) is at the shop waiting for a new pre amp from fender , i did the craigslist ..... purchase. i understand that im comparing active with a passive but the one i bought used is really bright sound specially when slaping n tapping also the rised poles on the pickups make contact with the strings , is any of these issues normal ??? or common cause this is my 2nd fender but i had the active one for a while amd dont remember any of these stuff
    HELP PLEASE !!!

2. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

I think if it wasn't played much the strings could still be fairly new? I would lower the pickups if they are that high a proper setup would really change the instrument for the better congrats on a nice find.

3. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

yup ... the MIM Standards use what Fender calls the Standard Jazz pups, and I think they are a hot that tends toward the potential for more 'bright/brittle' sounding than some of their other offerings .. string/pup height is pretty critical on these, as you mention with the raised A and D poles, but as mjac mentions, it sounds like your pups are too high or the action is too low ... also, if you have a maple neck, I have noticed that seems to enhance the brightness on the current offerings as well .. JMHO

4. himluis1

himluis1

this is the bass

5. Register to disable this ad