1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2008 P bass pickup

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by sigmafloyd, Dec 23, 2012.

1. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Hey guys, I'm trying to gauge the 2008 stock P bass pickup against the Fender Original replacement. If you've played both, how would you compare the sounds of these? I've heard the 2008 described as a more overwound sound, is that right?
  2. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

The stock mia 2008 pup is very wide sounding. Not nearly as low mid focused as the OV pup. I swapped mine out, and I'm glad I did...... much more P sounding IMO.
  3. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Thanks for the info. Something about the tone of my '08 has never 100% clicked. Its always seemed a little harsh, I'm looking for something with a bit more mellow.
  4. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

I've played the AVRI Precision (which has the 62 pickup) against the Standard and heard a big difference. Didn't like the Standard much at all as it had kind of a nasally quality.
  5. Jwood

Jwood Supporting Member

The stock pick up in my 08 is awesome.
  6. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Bump for more opinions. Might be spending my christmas gift card on one of these :) Trying to decide if it's a worthwhile upgrade for my 2008 American Standard P
  7. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

Dude, it's like a 70 dollar mod (tops... I found mine for like 50 bucks). You won't be sorry. Much more focus in the low-mids.... it will make your Pbass sound like a Pbass. There is a reason they started putting in a different pup in 2012.
  8. sigmafloyd

sigmafloyd

Cool, I'm not so much worried about the price than I am putting my bass under the knife
  9. jallenbass

jallenbass Supporting Member

It's not much more invasive than changing strings.
  10. ljazz

ljazz Supporting Member

I think it took me all of 15minutes to do the swap...... and I'm horrible with a soldering iron. LOL!