1. Classifieds Rules, Usage Agreement, and FAQ

A Supporting membership is required to post items for sale in the classifieds

New posts to classifieds threads will only bump the thread once every 24 hours. Posts made before 24 hours since the last bump, will not bump the thread.

2009 Ken Smith/Sleek Elite "Brooklyn" Custom 5 - Daphne Blue

Discussion in 'For Sale: Bass Guitars' started by swpyne, Aug 27, 2012.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. swpyne

swpyne Basses R Loaded! Gold Supporting Member

I purchased this bass new from Brian Barrett at the Low End in 2009 and it has served me well since. It was built in conjunction with Ken Smith by Hajime, a Japanese luthier, who works for Sleek Elite in Japan. It is kind of a cross between a Sadowsky NYC and a Celinder. It is certainly of that build quality if not better. There are no issues, it's in virtually mint condition and it comes with it's original HSC.

The Nordstrand pickups and 3 band preamp are really "out of this world" on this bass. They bring out the character of the instrument very nicely and the master tone control is a feature I have only seen on Xotic basses. You set the 3 band in the normal way and then the master control allows you to adjust them all together. It is very useful when you need to make quick changes to the overall tone of the instrument.

To help give you a better idea of the quality of this bass, Hajime is the luthier who builds the Hadrian F. model bass for Ken Smith. He is a true master and to the best of my knowledge there are only a dozen or so of these Brooklyn Custom basses in existence.

Brooklyn BR605-DB Custom 5 String Bass

Neck : 1pc. Hardrock Maple from Ken's In-House Exotic Wood Lumberyard
    FB : Maple from Ken's In-House Exotic Wood Lumberyard
    Body : Alder
    Pickups : Nordstrand
    Preamp : Nordstrand
    Color : Daphne Blue
    Scale : 34"
    String Spacing : 19mm
    Nut Width : 1.75"
    Weight : 9.7 lbs.

Here is a link to an old TB thread where Brian (among others) discusses these basses:http://www.talkbass.com/forum/f8/brooklyn-j-bass-g-s-alert-492099/

I paid over $3K for this bass and it's in absolutely perfect condition!

$2,500.00 plus shipping and fees - FIRM!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
  2. thomasjbass

thomasjbass Supporting Member

For those of you not familiar with the bass model, these things are absolutely amazing. I got an opportunity to play one of these a few years back and it blew me away. In my opinion, just as good as any Sadowsky, Alleva, etc. Being a jazz junky, I have wanted to get my hands on one of these for sometime. Maybe if this one is still around for a little bit longer, I will have to swipe it. Also swpyne is an awesome guy to deal with and he knows his stuff. If your looking for an awesome boutique jazz and at stellar price, here you have it! Best of luck with the sale my friend.
  3. Rapisme

Rapisme Supporting Member

+1
  4. swpyne

Thanks guys, it is indeed a remarkable bass. As good as you all say it is! I just have too many these days..........
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bottomzone

bottomzone

Melvin Lee Davis plays this bass and it sounds great! I'm pretty sure he's playing one in this video:

A Groove is a Terrible Thing to Waste! :cool:
  7. swpyne

Bump for a fantastic bass you will likely never see up for sale here again. These are VERY rare!
  8. jleguy

jleguy

light blue is not my color for a bass, but this one is a beauty...too bad it is not a sixer
  9. swpyne

I don't believe Hajime has built one of these as a 6 string. I have only seen 4 and 5 string versions. The Daphne Blue color is a lot richer looking in person and I prefer it over the more common Sonic Blue.
  10. RockFistMusic

RockFistMusic

WOW ~!!!
    and I mean WOW ~!!
  11. notejung

notejung Supporting Member

12. pedulla-2007

pedulla-2007 Supporting Member

If you will check out the control plate, it is easy to see that he is playing a KSD Design bass, and not the Ken Smith Brooklyn pictured in this OP! Two completely different basses, and hundreds of dollars difference in price!
  13. Low Class

Low Class Supporting Member

Yep, that's a modified KSD he's playing.

Here's a 4 string version of what the OP has for sale

Obviously not Melvin Davis:rollno:
  14. swpyne

Just to be clear, these Brooklyn basses have nothing in common with KSD basses except for the name "Ken Smith".
  15. Strokey

Strokey Supporting Member

Gorgeous bass! Someone needs to pick this up. This is a great deal.
  16. triplelutz

triplelutz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: AGUILAR AMPS, DUNLOP, EVIDENCE, LEJ BASSES
    Here she is- I keep thinking about this girl!! Wish I could buy her!
  17. Saenzbass

Saenzbass

I read your posting but do you have any sound clips? or is there any reference as far tone?
  18. swpyne

I don't currently have any sound clips but to me the Brooklyn 5 sounds a lot like a Sadowsky NYC that I owned but with a little more punch and girth to it's tone. Particularly in the mids and upper lows. The Sadowsky sounded a little thinner to my ear.

Overall these are similar to other high end 5 strings jazz basses out there like Sadowsky, Lull, Celinder, Nordstrand, Fodera and Xotic.
  19. swpyne

Well this beauty is once again back up for sale or possibly a trade plus cash that will net me at least $1K.

I'm just not playing 5 string enough these days to justify having two of these (which currently I do).

This bass is absolutely "perfect" in every way. No issues of any kind. Think Sadowsky meets Celinder but built by Ken Smith. It's really that good!

Oh and Dan L, this is your chance to finally snag this baby once and for all.........
  20. notejung

notejung Supporting Member

How's about trade with all original 1978 fender jazz +cash?
  21. swpyne

Certainly a possibility, PM me some photos.....

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.