2011 MIM Fender Jazz Custom Shop

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by linafelt, Dec 23, 2013.

1. linafelt

linafelt

I think I got a really good deal: $350 for a 2011 Fender Custom Shop Jazz Bass with Texas Tone Control...It looks like a blacktop...Thoughts?

2. landau roof

landau roof Reupholstered User Supporting Member

There's no such thing as Mexi Custom Shop or Texi Tone Control.

Without seeing the bass, my thoughts are that you bought a Blacktop for about going rate.

3. linafelt

linafelt

Thanks for your help. While I'm trying to figure out how to attach photos, the bass' neck plate says "Limited Edition Custom Shop USA," and there are two toggle switches and three knob controls, one has an outer ring around it...

Thanks for your thoughts

4. landau roof

There's a paper clip icon on the button to manage attachments.

If there's a serial number on the bass you can send it to Fender and they will tell you what it was originally sold as.

What you have is a bass that has been modded and probably a non-Fender aftermarket neck plate.

[​IMG]

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Whoever sold you that bass has probably been...dishonest.

7. linafelt

linafelt

Seller never claimed "Custom Shop"...$325 was my actual price, and the bass seems like new, so I'm not feeling that bad, am I...?

8. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

If its a blacktop then nah you did fine.

9. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

That neck plate and the "Texas Tone" control plate can be bought on Ebay. I don't know what the bass itself runs but those after market tone controls can run $75 and up and the custom neck plate costs anywhere from $10 to $20. I would think you did all right there.

10. BAMonBASS

BAMonBASS

Also I would pop that control plate off and see what they used for pots and caps. It could have been one of the nice USA made ones I have seen but can no longer find or it could be made with cheap overseas parts. If it sounds good though who cares.

11. linafelt

linafelt

12. landau roof

Not a Blacktop, those have P pickups. Either way, $325 isn't bad for a stock 2011 Std Jazz, and a great deal if you dig the look and electronics on the one you got.

Have you figured out what the controls do? Pull the plate and take pics. Let's see what lurks.