2012/2013 MIM P Bass, maple neck...good deal/ any experience?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by mikenel169, Oct 30, 2013.

1. mikenel169

mikenel169 Supporting Member

Just bought a new MIM P bass yesterday off of Musicians friend, my first ever P bass. Anyone have experience with the new MIM p's? Just trying to get some feedback to see if I made a right decision buying new or if older MIM are better quality.

Also want to point out that I called MF last night and with no coupons or promotion codes, I was able to get 20% off pretty easily. Ended up $460.00 shipped to my door, originally. $579.00, which is why I went for it. Hopefully I made a wise decision!

Any feedback/experience with newer P's will.be much appreciated.
  2. bassdog

bassdog

good deal there. I'm sure it is a fine bass. How does it play, sound, feel? What about the maple neck question in your title?

Bob
  3. mikenel169

Well I didnt receive it yet, thats pretty much the questions I was looking from the newer p bass owners. Hows the maple on the MIM, how does it play etc. I should have it in 4 days
  4. mikenel169

anyone with a newer p?
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stonewall

stonewall Supporting Member

i love mine
  7. mikenel169

Hows the stock pickup? Im lookin for some Steve Harris tone, i bought his rotos and kno that playing style and gear makes his tone as well, just want to get close. I might opt for his spb-4 or maybe the spb-1 which comes stock on his signature if the stock isnt hot enough.
  8. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

... the current batch of MIM 'Standards' are probably the best offerings in that model ever available IMHO ... in '08 the MIM Standards had some attention paid to them with a few mild changes, and the current crop seems to be a bit more consistent than in years past ... they do still use ceramic magnet pick-ups, which can seem quite hot, so give it a good shot before you jump in and swap them out ...

BTW, there are SEVERAL models of basses MIM, so until you mentioned the price you paid, I could only guess that you were talking about the Standard ... for example, the Classic Series 50's P, and Road Worn Series P both come with maple necks as well, and would fit your inquiry ... it is always helpful to mention the model when talking about a MIM bass .. enjoy your new toy!
  9. mikenel169

Awesome thanks for the response, i really appreciate it! And yes i forgot to mention that it is the standard that i purchased.
  10. blindrabbit

blindrabbit Supporting Member

I briefly owned a MIM P, literally for just a few days. I was underwhelmed with the quality and tones that came from it, which led to me returning it.

IMO/IME, Squiers (especially CV and VM) are a much better value if you felt compelled to buy new, and the Sterling by Music Man basses are perhaps even better still. Best of all would be to spend that money picking up a fantastic used bass from the classifieds here.

However, if in the end you like the bass and like the deal you received on it, then ignore what everyone else has to say and have fun playing it!!!