1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2012 American Jazz Deluxe 5 or Marcus Miller 5?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by diglo, Feb 14, 2013.

1. diglo

diglo Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    LowEnd4Lyfe
    Interested in the ash maple AJD, like the MM5. Any of you guys been able to compare them? Tone may be similar, but how was the feel? Thanks for any info!
  2. MIMJAZZ

MIMJAZZ

I've played the MM5 and it is a monster. It's got the bright scoopy tone, but it's not overwhelming. Everything about it sounds great. I liked it passive, but the preamp gives it great color if you want it. The nut is relatively small in width for a 5 string. Very comfortable to play. Super well put together and everything fit tight. A great choice.
  3. Jheake

Jheake

I Have owned the 4 string version of the MM sig. I currently own the American Deluxe 5 string. While this isnt exactly what you described, I prefer the American deluxe for many reasons.

1. The pickguard. I grew to absolutely hate the MM pickguard. It cannot be removed, to get rid of the look. There are cavity's for the preamp and battery behind it.

2. The Japanese version may differ from the American version of the MM here: The fret work was very sloppy and needed dressing on the MM. My american deluxe has an amazing neck and the frets are wonderful as well as the finish of the neck. again this could be different compared to the american MM sig.

3. Lastly, the most important thing to me. The Preamp sucks in the Marcus imo, the passive tone was very bland and the active wasnt much better. It pretty much had one sound and that was it.

These things are subjective for the most part, but i found that to be consistent to the few that I played.

Overall I think you kind of make the American Deluxe your own personal signature in a way, by setting it up how you want and getting the exact tone you are looking for.

I could really only get a couple tones that all sounded similar, on my Marcus Miller Sig.

Again though. YMMV