2012 NHL Offseason Thread

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by MJ5150, Jun 21, 2012.

1. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The NHL draft starts on the 22nd. I'm not much of a draft guy in any sport, so I probably won't watch.

I did catch the headlines of a couple signings today....Helm in Detroit and Karlsson ups with Ottawa for seven years. I don't think either move is a surprise.

In other news, has anyone seen the puck from game six of the SCF? :)

-Mike

2. mkandolf

mkandolf

I'm in and subbed!

3. mkandolf

mkandolf

Helm's signing in Detroit leaves them $20mil to go after Suter and Parise. OK, so who else is left on the free agent list...

4. Sonic_Death

Sonic_Death

I missed the 2012 awards last night. Didn't even realize it was on! I watched some of it on youtube today, and when I get home from work I'll see if they put it on demand at all.

Lots of good candidates won, and it was of course great to see that Lundqvist got the Vezina. Well deserved winners all around.

NHL Schedule came out today too. Less than 4 months at this point.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Hollow Man

Hollow Man

Just waiting for the fireworks to begin on 1 July...

7. Hollow Man

Hollow Man

Apparently Jordan Staal has rejected a 10-year deal (no dollar amount given) from the Penguins. I wonder if he was disappointed by the dollar value, if he didn't like the length of the contract, or if he just doesn't want to play with the Pens? Any Pens fans have any insider knowledge? Obviously, with the mega-talented lineup in Pittsburgh, Ray Shero is going to have one hell of a time keeping them all together...

8. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    Where did you hear that? I just talked to my cousin in PIT tonight. He didn't make any mention of this story.

-Mike

9. jp58

jp58

HA! If you seriously think you can get both of them AND have room left over...

In other news, Weber is optimistic that he and Suter will return in Nashville, and has said on record that he's (Weber) is looking to sign long term.

I'm not sure Parise is going to leave a team that made it to the finals either. It all depends on the context.

I think the contract up in Ottowa sets the stage for a $10 mil x 8 years contract if Parise hits the market.

10. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

11. Schlyder

Schlyder

Nice to see the Sens resign Karlsson :D... and see him win the Norris. He's going to be killer with another season or two under his belt. The next Bobby Orr. ;)

12. mkandolf

mkandolf

I thought you were around here long enough to know how much I seriously despise the Detroit Red Wings. I'm a transplant out here originally from central Pennsylvania. My loyalties are with the Philadelphia Flyers!!!

13. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

NJ is broke and being taken over by the league. I doubt very much Parise will stay.

Sutter who knows, when it comes down to it, guys seem to leave for three reasons, Money, organization, and chance to win. Nashville kind of put all its eggs in this years basket so it should be interesting.

As far as the Wings this much I know, they will make some big moves. Wether they are trades or signings, probably both, I don't know. Resigning Helm (who was out for the playoffs) was a great start.

But the Wings are 20 mil under the cap with no big FA of their own this year and only Howard to worry about next year. That's two stars and a couple of good role players. One thing people forget about the Wings is that they've always done it with a lot of good players but no real stars. I can't remember the last time a Wings been in the top five in scoring or won a Vezina. They also like two way players vs. snipers and it certainly fits their system better.

14. burk48237

burk48237 Supporting Member

Bobby who?

The last great defenseman was Nick Lidstrom.;)

That's my biggest fear as a Wings fan, Lidstrom was so good, but so efficient, and he did his job so quietly. I have no idea how much he'll be missed but I'm sure it will be a lot.

15. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    Interesting comment I saw/heard about Detroit....with Lidstrom gone, it may cause some other d-men to be less interested in coming to Detroit now since the prospect of playing next to the best (probably ever) is now gone. There is some rebuilding now on that defense which may not be as appealing to some players. Then again, you also have guys who like the challenge of building something.

As for Staal...I am reading about it now. Interesting, but understandable. I think Shero is done opening the checkbook to players for long term deals, so someone else will probably have to leave to keep Staal. Paul Martin would be someone who may leave. Although it pains me to think it, maybe even Orpik.

-Mike

16. mkandolf

mkandolf

Detroit still has that magic pull though of being an Original Six team, and one that isn't floundering as well. Out of the O6, only Detroit has been consistent lately. Montreal and Toronto haven't had a sniff in forever. Boston, Chicago, and NY Rangers have had flashes. Since Detroits one long spell of being the Dead Wings, they've been consistent at being competitive and near the top.

17. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    Staal in PIT, Jagr in PHI. Should be an interesting few weeks for PA hockey fans.

-Mike

18. mkandolf

mkandolf

Bobrovski to Columbus for picks. Bye-bye Bob. You had your shot but coudln't pull it off and they brought in Bryzgalov with his big contract. Now who will the backup be this year in Philly. Please don't call up Leighton!

19. stratovani

stratovani

Evidently none of you young guys saw Bobby Orr in his heyday. Name a defenseman - Weber, Chara, Lidstrom, whoever - Bobby Orr was better. WAY better. There are tons of videos of his playing career, here's a good one:

They generally list Wayne Gretzky as the #1 greatest player of all time, and Orr as #2. I think Orr should be #1A. ;)

20. MJ5150

Media:
    Albums:
    I have never seen Bobby Orr play a game. Many highlights for sure, but that is it. My hockey history goes back to the late 1980's. Even then, it was all Penguins. It wasn't until I started posting in these threads that I developed a love for the sport in general.

-Mike

21. stratovani

stratovani

Mike, I see you live in NH. Ask some of the older guys around about Bobby Orr, I'm sure they'll have some tales to tell! ;)

BTW I loved Super Mario. Many a goalie crapped themselves at the sight of Mario Lemieux bearing in on them on a breakaway! :D