2012 RIC 4003 Tone Pot question

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by NYCbassist, Feb 18, 2013.

1. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

I have done a search for this weird problem but no luck. When I turn the treble tone knob all the way down, I get distortion from my speakers(Farting). If I raise the treble tone up just a tiny bit it goes away. Do you think this normal or something wrong with the tone pot itself?
    Thanks for any input.
  2. NYCbassist

Any thoughts on this?
  3. SGD Lutherie

SGD Lutherie Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner, SGD Music Products
    When you turn down a passive tone control it gives a slight resonant boost. So that must be causing your amp to distort.

You can try lowering that pickup a little.

I don't know what kind of amp it is, or what the EQ is like, but you can either try reducing the frequency band where the distortion is happening.
  4. NYCbassist

Thanks for the reply. It definitely seems related just to the Tone Pot. I can turn the knob a tiny Smidge and the Distortion is gone. It's no big deal at all and I certainly don't need the tone rolled completely off. I'm mainly concerned that there may be some other things wrong with the pot that may get progressively worse.
  5. 53x39

53x39

When I looked inside my 2012 4003 to chase down excessive hum I found my ground wire from my bridge pickup was not attached. You might want to look inside to make sure they didn't miss something like they did on mine.
  6. NYCbassist

Thanks Man, I was thinking that very thing. It can't hurt to have a good look around in there. :) I'm a little worried because it's the push/pull pot.