2012 SR505

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by 82AB, Feb 2, 2013.

1. 82AB

82AB

Hello I am new to these forums and am not sure if I am posting this in the correct spot. I am also sure that you guys probably get sick of these questions. However, I really need some help figuring out what bass to get. I just bought a new 2012 SR505 and it seems like a really good bass. I just got activated to Active Duty and decided to pick up a bass because I miss playing. It has been 13 years so therefore I am not in the loop anymore and I played electric guitar not bass. Anyway I have done some research, but also I am very busy with the Army right now since my unit is currently deployed. Pretty much I want a bass that sounds nice while playing rock and metal and that will last for a while. Does this SR505 provide that?

Thank you for your help.
  2. inmate13

inmate13

Hey! Welcome to TB!

Yes, 505 will do the work for you :) I owned it for same reasons and i was pleased, so go for it :)
  3. 82AB

82AB

thank you I am happy to be on here. It is really tough trying to find bass players to talk to where I am from so I had no guidance! That is awesome, I just want to make sure I am making the right choice I had a SR305, but exchanged it for this one. Then figured I might as well come on here and have people who know what they are talking about tell me what I should do.
  4. 2cooltoolz

2cooltoolz Supporting Member

I don't know doodly about the SR505....but thanks for your service!!! Welcome to Talkbass!!!
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 82AB

82AB

Thank you!
  7. aseksysasquatch

aseksysasquatch

I have an ibanez sr500, and i can say that you made a great choice! very fast neck, and tons of tones you can get out of the preamp!
  8. IngerAlb

IngerAlb

In a nutshell, YES :) Good choice & congratz :)
  9. Wallace320

Wallace320

I served an Italian Aeroforce rifleman but, being Italy not involved in any multiforce missions by the time of my call of duty, I didn't go abroad, and I'm in the Army Infantry reserve 'til I'm 45.

Being Italian, I can't be more proud to be on your side.

Back to music: I play mostly thrash metal in the band where we play our original material. Havin' recently discovered fretless, my next purchase's gonna be Ibanez Sr505 fretless, so you made the right choice for me too.

Another alternative is Cort, Artisan B5 (and much better A5) being no cheap wayouts... You ain't thinkin' so? Go check CSI NY star Gary Sinise's Lt. Dan Band

Cheers,
    Wallace
  10. Jason Carota

Jason Carota Gold Supporting Member

The SR505 is a good choice. It will definitely serve you well in all types of music.
  11. mystic38

mystic38

Ditto!...

oh wait, i lied.. i have the SRA500 :D

both and all good
  12. mystic38

mystic38

13. 82AB

82AB

@Wallace320, that is awesome you had a lot of time in! Right now I have about 4 years in and I am a Platoon Leader for a Treatment Platoon of Medics. It is pretty awesome.

Thanks for all the information on the SR505 everybody. I do feel that I made a good choice. I didn't know whether I should of got an ATK or a BTB over the SR.

@Mystic38, no I did not take advantage of that great deal! hah
  14. P. Aaron

P. Aaron Supporting Member

Welcome to TalkBass.
  15. 82AB

82AB

Thank you!

I also was not sure if I should have got a bass of the used section on these forums instead?
  16. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

I think you did just fine, Sir. Coming from playing guitar, this bass is a good choice. It has tighter string spacing and a slimmer neck than many other 5'ers.
  17. Cyborg

Cyborg

You did well!

The SR505 is a fine 5-string bass. I've owned numerous basses over the years and I'm still digging my current SR505. That is saying something because I've owned a few 5-stringers and hated them all. The SR505 is the first 5-string bass that I've really liked. I've owned it for about 18 months and love the neck and string spacing. Although, I'm looking to get a SR605 or SR705 based purely on looks.
  18. 82AB

82AB

I am glad that everybody says its a good bass. I was going to change it for a Warwick, but if its that good I will def keep it around.
  19. Cyborg

Cyborg

Oh, I meant to say that the SR505 will be great for Rock and Metal.

You made a good choice and it will serve you well. I just went and messed with mine awhile ago. I definitely still dig mine. Although, the SR705 is calling for me.

The only downside is that the SR505 has more or less a stained finish and isn't super durable. I think it looks great though.
  20. 82AB

82AB

I also noticed that the finish is not very durable. I actually have a new one coming in because the one they sold me was dinged up. I have the SR505kabbf but I kind of like the look of the SR505qm. Not sure if there is a big difference in the wood. the qm is a little more expensive.
  21. Solarmist

Solarmist Supporting Member

You made an excellent choice! - the SR5 neck is pure perfection, and the Bart PU's combined with the EQB-IIIS 3-band eq w/mid frequency switch offer an outstanding range of sound. Quality basses.

Thank you for your service.