1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2013 American Vintage '74 Jazz Bass-YES!

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tdizzle, Jan 22, 2013.

1. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

2. tdizzle

tdizzle Supporting Member

Well, maybe the price is a bit steep, but cool anyway.

3. -=DanAtkinson=-

-=DanAtkinson=-

4. RaginRog

RaginRog Last guy you want to see is Employee Relations guy Supporting Member

I like the LPB one...but I still don't think I would have purchased one over my Select.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. 4001

Fender made the 75' reissue that was basically identical to this one and it sure didn't cost $3K.

What makes this bass worthy of a $3K list price? It's just a friggin' Jazz Bass with pearl blocks and binding.

7. Mykk

Mykk

I really do want. But, I have no intention of ever spending that much for one.

8. 4001

I paid the same thing for my Wal MK 1 in 1993.

But it's a Wal.

9. David281189

David281189

and it was 1993. who cares? 20 years ago...

retail price for that one is about 2299 $ or 2350$
    those basses are not like the american standard line. it's somewhere between the custom shop and the american standards. price is therefore in between.
    if you like it buy it, if you don't like it don't complain about the price of something you haven't tried yet.

10. 4001

More people had the 3K then for a mastercrafted quality instrument like the Wal but who, in this current economy, has 3K for this bass, which is nothing special at all?

I think Fender is starting to turn into Gibson with their pricing.

I'll see those hanging on the top rack at the local GC where the heat rises and the wood dries out while people will be buying Squiers.

It dosent have the same value as the Wal at any time.

11. 4001

I might like the bass itself but by trying it out, playing it a bit still wont open my eyes and convince me that it is worth that much $$. I just think the price is about 1K over what it should be.

12. David281189

David281189

1k$ hahahaha....
    the american standard is also 1k$ over what it should be right? :D :D :D
    thanks for the laugh :D

13. Lunchbox4u_6

Lunchbox4u_6

I really want a Jazz with a maple board and pearl blocks...do i want to pay 3k though?

14. 4001

It is a laugh. I laugh at all you guys that are willing to fork over that much $$ for something that isn't worth it.
    First thing I said when I saw the price was..."What for?"

15. David281189

David281189

that's your opinion. if you don't want to pay that money...that's fine.
    but don't laugh at those who do like them and are willing to pay that much money!
    who are you to judge if those basses are worth it? just because you don't like it doesn't mean it's not worth it for many many other guys. :scowl:

16. NYCbassist

NYCbassist Supporting Member

Those prices are MSRP not Street.

17. slickbass3

slickbass3 SilGarzaJr Supporting Member

Really need to consider a CIJ RI JB with similar specs. I've ordered two used instruments from Ishibashi for about 8 bills each and could not be more satisfied. I should mention that I also have a AVRI 75 so I've had the luxury of A/B comparisons.

I even had Marty Bell refinish one and it's my main player right now.

Only caveat is that mine have the 60' PUP spacing.

Regardless - would not pay 3K.

ImageUploadedByTalkBass1358882322.705049.jpg ImageUploadedByTalkBass1358882360.521017.jpg

18. 4001

A bassist on a messageboard with an opinion. That is who I am. Or, are opinions that you disagree with not allowed?

19. Jeff K

Jeff K Supporting Member

With the white pearloid blocks, I'll bet it might look good with a white or white pearl pickguard. But I'm content with my '75 AV Reissue with the black blocks & binding. Hard to believe that mine's almost 13 years old already. It's a 2000, which I think was the 2nd year they were offered.

20. David281189

David281189

I already said your opinion is perfectly fine...i don't care actually. The thing that upset me is that you laugh at other people who are willing to pay for something they like just because you are not willing to do so or don't see the value in it or whatever. Furthermore it is upsetting that you mentioned the 3k list price twice although you were told that it's just list price and the street price is something around 1999-2250$ depending on the model.
    I have no problem with the opinion of other people, but i have a problem with guys who laugh at other people because they don't share the same opinion. That's what you've said :mad:.

21. Smart guy

Smart guy

This is what I have been waiting for. A J bass with emphasis on the mid to late 70's vibe and sound. But two thing struck out at least on the video. One was the tone. I find the tone to be typical J bass tone without the punchy mid and treble reminiscent of the 70's disco and funk. Sounds like any J, In other words an expensive mim J? And of course the msrp. I'll wait for the street price and ill audition one. But as it looks, I'll just stick to my original plan and look into a vintage Sadowsky J or an Alleva Copollo.