2013 Squier VM Jazz - No longer SD pickups

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by twc1313, Dec 15, 2013.

1. twc1313

twc1313 Supporting Member

I got the 2013 VM Jazz in 3tone burst and I noticed that while the neck now has a great finish and feels much better than the old ones, the SD pups are no longer part of the bass. The site says they are simply "Fender Designed" now. This bass seems to lack the snap of the SD's. Is this in my head?
  2. mrb327

mrb327 Just say No to Tort Supporting Member

No i dont think so. They definitely sound different, even bought a `13 and a/b compared it to my `10 VMJ. Didnt keep the newer one, just sounded off.

Still have 30 days?
  3. twc1313

Ya this one i keep finding myself trying to turn the tone knob up....and I find it's already wide open. Seems like it is under a blanket or something.

Think it's going back tomorrow.
  4. twc1313

Actually, 30 days is up....the bass looks and feels great, especially the neck. Guess I'll have to get some pick ups in it. Any suggestions to match the duncans?
  5. rfslick

rfslick

Dumb question. What's an SD pickup. It will be obvious as soon as you answer....
    Would that be Seymour Duncan?
  6. mrb327

That depends on where you want to go with it, what you want to play. Closest direct replacement is probably the SD SJB-1.
    But hey for the effort I would consider the other vintage type pups. Nordstrands maybe
  7. Batmensch

Batmensch Supporting Member

Yes. But the thing is, those VM basses never had SD (Seymour Duncan) pickups, They were DD (Duncan Designed), two different kinds of pickups,
    The DD pickups on the Squiers were pickups made by a foreign company to Duncan's specs. SD's Or Seymour Duncan pickups are made in the USA by the Duncan company.
  8. mrb327

Yes. Originally the VM series jazzes had "duncan designed" pups. They actually dont suck
  9. Batmensch

Agreed. I love the sound of the DD pickup in my VM P.
  10. twc1313

I'd like to get my hands on a set of the duncan designed ones b/c they are cheap and sound great.

I don't think they are sold though.

THe Sjb-1 sound similar, do you just get two of the same? Or are the neck and bridge different?
  11. mrb327

Ya beat me to the punch there Cliff
  12. twc1313

I'd like to get my hands on a set of the duncan designed ones b/c they are cheap and sound great.

I don't think they are sold though.

THe Sjb-1 sound great....I don't want to drop another 100+ on this bass though.
  13. mrb327

The DD can be had used. If you buy the SJB-1 set they are a bridge and neck set
  14. mrb327

15. twc1313

the model J's seem to have a punch and solid price point
  16. twc1313

also, aside from replacement options

does anyone else have the 2013 vm Jazz and like/dislike it?
  17. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

Not to worry, the pickups will likely will be made in the same plant by the same people to Fender specs which are so close to Duncan specs you won't be able to tell one from the other by playing in a blindfold A/B test with everything else on the bass exactly the same (which isn't as easy to achieve as it sounds) ...

They are probably saving a few bucks by no longer paying the licensing rights to use the Duncan name.

I have had several of the 'original' VM's and recently got one of the 'new' and find they are both equally outstanding for what they are. Some of the changes I dont care for all that much, like the heavy high gloss poly finish, especially on the neck (easily fixed), but I find the 'new' Fender Designed pups to be every bit as good as the DD's ... still excellent values in the bass world, and very good beds for those that want to mod out like crazy, but you really dont need to ... JMHO
  18. Batmensch

"Missed it by that much."
    (a virtual cookie for anyone that gets that reference.)
  19. Batmensch

TJH, I would have preferred to have glossy necks on both my VMs. Nothing wrong with the satin finish, I just like the glossy look better, and I've never had a problem with sticky gloss-finished necks anyway.
  20. twc1313

IMHO I love the heavily varnished neck.....it has that amber tint to it and I like the sturdy feeling, similar to my Ray34CA

I'm going to have to test this bass in my bigger amps and maybe change the strings. I agree with you that the p'ups are probably the same thing and now Fender just isn't paying SD to put the gold lettering on the basses. But something seems off when I plug this bass in. It might be that the strings are Fender Nickles and my sweaty hands tend to kill strings fast. Do these strings get particularly dead (Ernie Ball strings die fast for me and when they die, they DIE, D'Addario's on the other hand seem to hang onto a brighter tone longer....but I digress)

My ex has the VM 70's one (the Marcus Miller copy) and it seems to have way more "stank" on it than my bass. Is the body wood and maple fretboard really giving it that much of a difference? I might have to buy that thing off her....