2014 Masters - A Tradition Unlike Any Other

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by mimaz, Apr 8, 2014.

1. mimaz

mimaz Gold Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Crook Custom Guitars
    How many golf fans are on TB? Who will be listening/watching/reading Masters coverage all week like I will?

Who is your pick to win the "Tiger-less" Masters?

And most importantly, how did Adam Scott pick Moreton Bay Bugs for the Champion's dinner? (OK, they're not really bugs.)
  2. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    I'll be watching, but not as much as normal since Tiger is out.

-Mike
  3. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Normally, I watch just a little more of any event involving Tiger, but in the case of The Masters, I'll be watching as much as possible no matter what.

I'll cap it off with an event I've been attending for the last 10 years or so. There will be around a 24 man field for our own "Masters" on Sunday AM, then we go back to the house for an afternoon of eating, drinking, wagering, and general nonsense!
  4. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

I'll be watching as long as my schedule allows. All the guys in the family usually end up watching the final round on Easter but this year it's going to be a week early.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Immigrant

Immigrant

This is the first year in a long time that I don't have a decent cable package or the Golf Channel. It's killing me. I'm not the healthiest person so I used to spend all the time I needed to see nearly all the coverage doing so.

It's a bummer Tiger won't be there, but there has been some outstanding play by up-and-comers so far this year. Tiger needs to change his game as to not kill the ball every swing or he's finished.

Augusta is a breathtaking course. It's beautiful.
  7. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Not sure if you are aware, but there is free live coverage (video and audio) at masters.com, beginning tomorrow. I'll use that to keep in touch while I'm at work.
  8. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

I watch all the majors. My favorite is the US Open but I love the tradition and consistently difficult conditions that the Masters presents to the players each year. What a story Tiger's is! When he was tearing up the courses in his prime I never liked him and I enjoyed watching to see him lose which was seldom. I usually pull for the underdog (Flames fan) and Woods was anything but that. Then his troubles began and I gained a new respect for him in how the whole ordeal seemed to change his attitude. I respected also how he kept plugging away at the majors despite health problems and the edge he seemed to have lost after all the troubles started for him. I was really surprised that the personal difficulties that he had effected his play at all. He was such a juggernaut, but the fact that it did so dramatically shows how intense those pressures were. He was such a phenom, probably the greatest player ever. The thing is, with a guy with that kind of talent, it could very well be that his best years are ahead of him, but health issues might be a factor from here on in. Won't be the same w/o him at Augusta. Love him or hate him, it'll be a huge blow for that tournament, but I'll be watching anyway pulling for a dog (Graham Delaet).
  9. Immigrant

Immigrant

Yep, thank you! I've had to resort to alternative viewing for other content and figured I'd be parked in front of iPad or computer the next few days. It's a luxury problem, because the TV is more convenient (and bigger):p

I've only swung a golf club a handful of times, but golf on TV is an addiction to me. And PS3.
  10. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    My favorite is the Masters, but the US Open is a close 2nd. After that, I like the Players Championship, and for some reason, the The ("British") Open holds the least amount of interest for me among the majors.
  11. Tituscrow

Tituscrow Banned

The only golf I watch is the Ryder Cup ;)
  12. bachlover

bachlover Supporting Member

The British courses aren't as appealing visually, but it's fun to watch the players thrash around on those bone dry "fairways" especially under those extreme windy conditions off the sea. I really like the Championship as well, and would add The Ryder Cup as another of my faves.
  13. Immigrant

Immigrant

I didn't mind Ryder Cup-style team play until Phil Mickelson and Keagan Bradley were teamed together at one (or more) of the events. They needed a room.:p
  14. MJ5150

MJ5150 Terrific Twister Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    The People's Champion.....

[​IMG]

-Mike
  15. jp58

jp58

I always watch a little golf every year, and I've recently started to play more. I feel like you gain a real respect for these guys when you're out on the course.
  16. Bipslapper

Bipslapper Well Ahoy, Paloi Supporting Member

I absolutely can't get enough of Masters Week. I was running on the treadmill last night watching the 2004 Masters on the Golf Channel (Phil eeked out The Big Easy) and it was almost as exciting as when I watched it on TV 10 years ago. I never thought I would enjoy watching golf as I do now, especially when forced to run inside and catch the events on the television. After the horrible winter we've had in the Northeast, the Masters seems to be a reminder that warmer, sunny weather is on it's way.

The majors are fantastic to watch and it seems like each Sunday of a major (except the Brittish Open usually due to the time difference), my wife and 2 girls end up cheering on the last few leaders as the sun starts to set. We watch it on the big screen and it becomes somewhat of a family tradition, even though the girls hate watching golf normally. Of course, a couple of cold IPA drafts make the experience all the better.

The tradition, Azaleas, dark green turf, incredible shots, putts, etc..; what's not to love? I don't care that Woods is out, the young talent is amaze-balls to watch these days. Bring it on!
  17. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

I'll definitely be watching. I've watched a lot of golf this year so far and its really difficult to get a feel on who might win the Masters. A lot of young and/or first time winners so far this season.

Even though he screwed the pooch on 18 last week, Matt Kucher has been consistently good for the past several weeks. Rory seems to be playing well right now even though he chumped the final round at the Honda Classic a few weeks ago to finish 2nd. Watching his play last week had me thinking he might be the guy at the Masters this year.

I think it will be one of the established players to take home the green jacket. Even though there have been a lot of first-time winners this year so far, I don't see a first-timer winning at Augusta. But whatever happens, I'll be watching, regardless of Tiger Woods.
  18. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Par 3 contest at the Masters today. Can a Par 3 winner EVER go on to win The Masters?

(Hasn't happened yet.)
  19. GrumpiusMaximus

GrumpiusMaximus I've Seen Things You People Wouldn't Believe Supporting Member

I'm looking forward to some of it. As an occasional (and terrible) attendee at the driving range, it does strike me how good these guys are.

I am irritated by a ruling I heard today. Apparently one of the players (whose name escapes me right now - he was the highest-ranked amateur last year in one of the tournaments, apologies) has had to find an emergency caddy because his regular caddy has been deemed ineligible. Because he wears sandals. Because he has a foot condition.

Sigh.
  20. mimaz

Media:
    Albums:
    Disclosures:
    Live coverage of the Par 3 Contest begins at 3pm on ESPN and masters.com
  21. Fiset

Fiset I do a good impression of myself

Thats Matt Fitzpatrick the U.S. amateur champion. I don't have an opinion on the ruling since I don't know what condition the caddy has and whether or not he could figure a way to comply with the Augusta rules. Augusta (and golf in general) is not known for bending rules for physical ailments so this certainly doesn't surprise me.

What does annoy me, though, is Fitzpatrick saying, "I told the TD (tournament director) he was pathetic and I hate the place..."

But apparently not so much that he won't play.