2014 New Year's resolutions

Discussion in 'Off Topic [BG]' started by HeavyJazz77, Dec 26, 2013.

1. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

It's inevitable to begin and I haven't spotted one for 2014 posted here so let's get on with it...

What are your New Year's resolutions for 2014?

1. Body: I'm thinking less sitting (in a cubicle) and more moving (yes, that would be 'outside' the cubicle). Bass-wise I'd say tackle a smoother execution on the fretting hand.

2. Mind: Drowned out the televised propaganda I'm subjected to at the office with ear buds and a steady stream of Tonbruket and HLS (for starters anyway).

3. Soul: Find more opportunities to read thought provoking books and schedule more swappings of pints among friends.

2. mellowinman

mellowinman Guaranteed to break the Ice at Naughty Parties Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    This year, I resolve to be far more sarcastic, mean-spirited and cynical than I have ever been before. I also plan to lie a lot more.

3. Milk

Milk

I really got to deal with this weight problem. Mid 30's, gained 25 pounds in the last two years. Can't seem to lose it (well it went up to 35 at some point but i managed to lose ten pounds). I hate what i look like and health wise its just not good. I just find it much harder then before to lose weight (as it should be...and it wont get easier as years go by).

4. spade2you

spade2you

I like the mind, body, and soul approach.

1. Grow a spine. A crap ton of people walked all over me last year. No more Mr. nice guy.

2. Spend more time with family and friends. I put a lot of people on the back burner for a band that ended up replacing me, which I discovered when they finally got a website up and I wasn't on it. I think they began to replace me while I was away for a weekend helping my family during my grandpa's funeral. :D

3. Win some bike races. The lack of band and new work schedule should help me with goal #2 as well as more time on the bike.

4. Get back to basics with guitar and bass. I have a bunch of True Fire lessons and various books to keep me busy. No band for a year. Be more of a hired gun type as the loyal friend approach got me nowhere.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. bassdude51

bassdude51 Supporting Member

I'm going mellowinman's route too...............and my other resolution is to either drink less beer or more beer.

7. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

1) Quit smoking. No vaping because it looks silly and I don't wanna be addicted to nicotine anymore.

2) Work out more.

3) Read more, watch tv less.

4) Play in as many bands as I can. I recently joined an originals band (I hate the guys music but it's fun playing in a group). I have a bluegrass jam lined up. I'd like to play in a jazz trio/ensemble of some sort.

8. Stevas

Stevas

Be more grateful
    Reduce frequency of aggressive actions
    Honor a man's word and do what I promise myself and others

9. Monster Truck

Monster Truck groove student Supporting Member

Cut down on my soda consumption

Stop buying basses

10. bassteban

bassteban

Not a full-fledged resolution, but I recently decided to focus on maintaining good form, whatever Im doing. Doing so keeps me from trying too hard and straining or injuring myself, or just looking desperate. This attitude applies to work, hobbies, sex and many other activities. It has already paid off hugely in my enjoyment of said activities and contentment before and after. I believe it's going to be a very good year. :)

11. Phalex

Phalex Semper Gumby Supporting Member

I'm going to find a new job!

I'm going to lose 25 pounds.

And I'm going to give up tobacco completely. (I quit years ago, but I do still dabble)

12. Gorn Captain

Gorn Captain Supporting Member

Oh, and I'm gonna grow a beard. I've never let it go past the point where my face just looks dirty but I'm gonna do it this time. I'm 9 days in and just reached the dirty hobo phase. I'm committed.

....primarily cuz my electric shaver died and I don't wanna buy another one, but also cuz I want a beard.

13. zachoff

zachoff

Re-gain my kids' interest. I realize teenage kids want nothing to do with their parents, but as a parent of a couple teenage kids it's a real bummer. I'd like to do more with them and I'd like it if they enjoyed doing things with me.

More quality time with my wife. Less running around, less big vacations, more hanging out at home and enjoying each other's company.

Get on the mountain. Haven't climbed a 14er in a couple years, only went fishing 4 times in 2013, didn't go camping at all in 2013, and I'm on pace for less than 10 days up snowboarding.

Participate in a CrossFit competition, and continue to get better every day.

14. pacojas

pacojas "FYYA BUN" Supporting Member

every year i decide if a certain "friend" is really a friend. if the scales tip toward positive energy,.. i stay commited. this year i'm thinking that a certain female is just to inconsiderate for me!
    other than that, my life is what it is & i love it, regardless of being weighed down by fear of the unknown.
    just beware of "Energy Vampires"!:(

15. thunderbird66

thunderbird66

16. michael_atw

michael_atw Supporting Member

-Less work
    -More reading
    -Increase exercise
    -Lose 10 more lbs.
    -Possibly enter into an IRA
    -Cut out read meat entirely

Already lost 10 lbs last year, the red meat has already begun and I'm down to about 8 oz a week...which is about what the average American eats a day...

17. bassteban

bassteban

My son is 14 & has been acting his age lately.. a fellow parent gave me what I thought was some brilliant advice one day after I bemoaned his 'tude: Treat him like he has a head wound and is not in complete control of his senses/emotion. Not in his right mind. This wisdom saved that entire day and many more I think- it folds a lot of grace and forgiveness into the mix. I hope things go well for you.

18. HeavyJazz77

HeavyJazz77 Supporting Member

All resolutions except going to the gym blah, blah, blah open for consideration.

19. EricF

EricF Habitual User

Write "2014" in situations where I used to write "2013".

20. Gaolee

Gaolee The Fat Violin Supporting Member

I haven't made any yet, but I broke all of them already.

21. MatticusMania

MatticusMania LANA! HE REMEMBERS ME!

Ive resolved to quit making resolutions. No need to wait til the start of the year to improve myself. Its a daily struggle.