1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

212 cab recommendations

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by lofreq64, Dec 14, 2013.

1. lofreq64

lofreq64

Interested in getting a 212 cab to use with 4 ohm tube heads: '71 V4B, '73 SVT, '76 Fender Super Twin head (modded for bass). I dig more of an old school tone with full lows and low mids, present mids, not too much top end, just enough for clarity. Suggestions? Thanks in advance.
  2. Lync

Lync Supporting Member

I dig my Genz NeoX 212t with the tweeter off. Clear, but warm. Handles power and is light. A bit unwieldy as the handles are in an odd position on the top, but that is all I have bad to say about the cab.
  3. Jeff Scott

Jeff Scott Don't just TalkBass - PlayBass! Supporting Member

4. grey area

grey area

i use a pair of TC RS 2x12s with a GK MBF 500 with my 60s rock cover band and with the hf knob turned off i can get a nice old skool tone. they are not too heavy, small footprint, and a good price.
    good luck
  5. sizzle

sizzle sunn #91 Supporting Member

I love eden 212xlt
  6. Khronic

Khronic Richard J. Naimish

I run a Jay Turser MM copy w/stainless flatwounds and a naimishbridge through an ART Tube Channel Pre-amp/compressor/EQ into an EA iAmp-350 to power a pair of BFM Jack 1x12's. I absolutely love this set up, and I can get real old school funky with it.

Don't overlook Bill's designs in your considerations.

Bill Fitzmaurice,com
  7. rust_preacher

rust_preacher Supporting Member

I am partial to my Aguilar DB212. it does have a tweeter but that can be turned down, or off completely. The sound is exactly as you describe. I would call it "airy" as well as it really doesn't sound as if (on the volumes I have played) it were pushing hard at all.
  8. gkbass13

gkbass13 Supporting Member

Aguilar might be exactly what you are looking for, and a classic black DB2x12 would look GREAT under any of those vintage tube heads.

I personally am loving the Berg CN2x12, and although it is versatile, it may be a tad on the modern side for your described tonal goals.
  9. gillento

gillento

You are calling for the Aguilar db212, sir!
  10. Grissle

Grissle Supporting Member

Are the new Ampeg 2x12s shipping yet?[​IMG]
  11. edwinhurwitz

edwinhurwitz Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: DR Strings, SMS, D-TAR
    I've always wanted the 12" version of a Sunn 2000s.
  12. el murdoque

el murdoque

+1 on this.
  13. ASATMAN

ASATMAN Supporting Member

Find yourself an old Fender 2 x 12" and load it with EV Pros. Efficient, loud, w/ tight lows and crisp highs.
    [​IMG]
  14. MrLenny1

MrLenny1

Eden 2x12 XLT. Wicked deals here on TB
  15. Chef

Chef Moderator Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Staff Reviewer; Bass Gear Magazine
    Baer ML212.
    Excellent for use with tube heads.
  16. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

Need a price range. The Baer is a high-end supercab, around 1200 bucks. The GK 212 NEO is around 600 bucks. The Avatar B212 is less than the GK and comes with options on drivers and cover. Bang-for-buck is high with both the GK and Avatar.
  17. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    To me "old school tone" and "full lows" are contradictory terms.
  18. GretschBassist

GretschBassist Supporting Member

Gallien Krueger NEO212-II 600W at 8 ohms. I love this thing. I have a second in case I need a bit more volume (basically to get the full 4ohm looad out of my amp.

These cabs are super lightweight (45lbs) and the for what you get, the price is more than fair.
  19. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

The Genz Benz Uber 212 is by far the best "small" bass cab I've ever owned, and I've had quite a few. The ONLY other cab I would consider is an Aguilar DB212. I have the DB112nt, and it's on par with the Uber.
  20. DrumsAndBass

DrumsAndBass

Yes, the Aguilar gs212 is great. I had one. Don't know the db212 .