1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

215 Fliptop Ampeg?!

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Ben Berd, Jan 23, 2014.

1. Ben Berd

Ben Berd Supporting Member

On my local craigslist I saw a 67 ampeg 215 fliptop with a
    200 watt solid state head. It's in good condition and all original EXCEPT the speakers are eminence and while doing some research I found that they had cts square magnet speakers. Without the original speakers is it even worth buying?
  2. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Use of this field for any other purpose is prohibited
    I think these are old solid state Ampegs......was good enough for Jerry Jamont.

3. Ben Berd

How do you think it would sound with modern speakers, how much does it go down in value?
  4. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I've no idea. JimmyM or beans-on-toast could get you better info.

I can't imagine the old SS amps holding value anywhere near the tube ones, and didn't know there even were fliptop 215 cabs.

It is different, and interesting, that's for sure, but it shouldn't be overly expensive. Should get the exact model from the guy and go about finding out if things like the power transistors or other parts they used are even obtainable nowdays should you ever need to get it serviced.
  5. Ben Berd

The guys wants 250 which sounds reasonable enough I think it's a bt15c
  6. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

The Eminence Beta 15A speaker is a good modern alternative to the CTS speaker. If that is what's in the cab, I'd consider it a plus.

The $250 price is reasonable if it's in good shape. It is a fairly rare rig.
  7. Ben Berd

Cool, Im probably going to go check it out on saturday. If everything works and it sounds good to me I'll pull the trigger.
  8. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Assuming it all works, I'd grab it at $250. That's a pretty cool rig you really don't see anymore.
  9. NightCat

NightCat

That dude's all business. I don't think a Mac truck could knock him off his groove.
  10. Dark Horse

Dark Horse

I had one of the tube fliptop B-15NC (I think that was the model # for the the 2x15 50 watter)...i freaking loved that amp, but had to see it in a time of financial hardship...bummed me out.

I think the one you're describing is the BT-15C .... though I thought they were more like 85 watts. My memory is a bit fuzzy on this. Still, for $250, I think you'd be getting a really good deal.
  11. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

12. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Here are the amps in the video.

[​IMG]
  13. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    I'll take any excuse I can find to post links to players like that. :D

Thanks for the info Beans. I'll be digging into that.
  14. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    The video still is pretty fuzzy on my phone, but the middle amp has a few less knobs than the outer two. I assume that's the bass amp? I'm thinking no knobs for reverb, presence, or something like vibrato, tremolo, etc. ?
  15. ahc

ahc

16. will33

will33

Disclosures:
    Also, coily cords are awesome. I got one in white, brand new in the package I'll be breaking into when our "gigging season" starts up again around mid-late March. I need to refinish one of my rigs to look more "classic" and look right with the coily cord.
  17. will33

will33

Disclosures:
  18. Ben Berd

That one on pinterest is the one I found. It is exactly like the one on cl. It sold on eBay for close to 600. It did have original speakers though. Did I mention the guy selling it on cl has original papers, dolley, and leather cover. More than likely I'll pick this thing up. I'll add more when I get it home.
  19. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

You are right about the middle one having less knobs. I could very be an SBT then. Both amps came out at the same time so it would make sense that they would be using both. The SST is a guitar amp, the SBT is a bass amp.
  20. beans-on-toast

beans-on-toast

Very nice condition. stiles72 has one if you want to PM him and ask about it.