$2300 mistake? Or great investment?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by FunkyBassRiddim, Feb 14, 2014.

1. FunkyBassRiddim

FunkyBassRiddim

Ok I'm going to keep this short as I can.

I had a long post typed up but if you guys have questions about my experience, or more about why I decided to spend so much just ask haha. It's actually still quite a long read, so feel free to skip to the bottom where I've summarized the main questions. :hyper:

Today, the spend a lot of money bug struck and I bought the Fender Super Bassman Pro 300 with a neo 410 cab. I bought a bass a few days before.

So here's what's coming to me-

[​IMG]

Squier '70 Modified Jazz Bass

What's your immediate opinions on that veterans? I read that it can achieve a lot of tones from reggae to rap to grimey rock etc. What's upgradeable with these if anything? Can I put in better pups? Do I even need to worry about that?

[​IMG]

Fender Bassman 410 Neo 4x10

I know I'll be adding on to this. Thoughts?

*Cue funky bass line fading in along with drums or something like that

[​IMG]

Snaged it up used, for what might be a good price? I don't know, I have what some deem a bad habit of not caring about it.

Here's my questions

-I know this will be good for pretty much any live application I might get my self into short of being a super star, right? It can also be a good practice amp? I just remember the switch from SS to tube in the guitar world was night and day... I've read that it's not so clear in the bass world but I just decided to jump the gun and go tube with my first bass rig.

I also want to get a fat reggae tone. I figured tubes would have that nice 'vintage warmth' to them. Will the cabinet be good for this? From what I've read so far it seems like I might want to add a 215 into my mix?

-How's the quality of that bass? I know it's funny that I spent so much on the amp and not the bass to some people?

I first bought the bass with the intent of only using it as DI in my recordings. Than I said screw it I have a goal of learning every instrument anyway, so I might as well get an amp to practice with. Then I said you know what I want to play live or at least have the capability to do that to. And I want top quality sound to enjoy.....

So I just decided to skip all the upgrading and go with something that a lot of people on here seem to love and a brand that I loved when I got that supersonic. I was so happy with that amp that the positive response on here and my experience was enough to make me jump the gun.

I don't know, really I'm here to learn how to apply music theory to the bass and learn techniques to practice and exercises to get better at playing etc. So this is just kind of my initial whats up, what do you think about this set up, what do I need to know type post. Sorry it's kind of un organized and long.

So what up, my name is Alex and I'm excited to join the community here.

When the amp and everything gets here, I'll run over to one of the SBM 300 threads and post my review.

Any must have books on music theory for bass or bass techniques? Hit me :bassist:
  2. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

I think you could have done better for $2300 ....
  3. SuperK

SuperK Supporting Member

Don't be scared of the Squier name. That's a killer bass. I have one along with a standard MIA P Bass. I have a hard time deciding which one I like better.
  4. spaz21387

spaz21387

I'm all for beginners buying a nice amp and a cheap bass. It means you won't have to upgrade later. a great amp will even make a crappy 40$ bass sound amazing. that squier should sound great though that rig.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

Not much..:smug:

Marc
  7. Sav'nBass

Sav'nBass Supporting Member

The bass is fine.. I think he could have gotten more bang for the buck amp wise..
  8. Moosehead1966

Moosehead1966 Supporting Member

again. Not much. Well done and well played sir! Great rig.

Marc
  9. FunkyBassRiddim

FunkyBassRiddim

Ok fast replies, thats awesome first of all. I love an active forum community.

My thing with the amp is this. There's SO MUCH debate every where on everything gear wise now a days. And then you even have what appear to be company reps that say man, I ordered Amp A and it broke three times. After months and months of service at factory I said screw it and bought Amp B and everything has been great since then best amp ever bla bla,

So I went with a name that I liked because of my experience with the Supersonic. Went with tube cause of my experience in the guitar world. I did read some threads here on that debate, and I just said screw it I could spend weeks comparing different amps so I just knew I wanted something tube. I've been doing a lot of MIDI producing over the past 2 years, and I'm sick of that 'fake' sound. Want to get back towards something more "real" with human energy. So even though I'll be most likely DI most of my recordings, I wanted something I could enjoy listening to to practice on. Then like I say I wanted that practice amp to be able to perform in the future. Then I also wanted it to be handle an assortment of gig sizes cause you never know how big you might get to play.

At first I was thinking try to find an old SVT for a nice fat sound, but then I came across these amps and all the threads here. And all the debate that comes with them.

Then I got to thinking ultimately I plan to have all kinds of musical stuff, and I know that one day I'll have everything I want. The hard part is deciding what comes first, and everything is a learning experience. I could also have spent it on some better studio monitors, the list goes on. But I've always wanted to learn some bass, and there's no better time than now.

So all in all I can't wait for the rig to get here and start playing. Even though this is my first step in the bass world and I made a rather large one, Im just trusting all my past musical and gear experience that it was a good one.

I'm glad to hear the good news about the squier. I figured it was a good buy, just based on my experience with fender in general.

Hey who knows if I jumped into something too quick maybe one of you guys on here will benefit if it pops up in classifieds :p
  10. Ironbar

Ironbar Banned

I have that exact same bass, and I LOVE it! The only mod I did was add a Badass bridge, and change the strings to my favorite- DR Nickel Lo-Riders.
  11. FunkyBassRiddim

FunkyBassRiddim

I think the first strings I put on will be some sort of flats. I love the natural finish. When I get a drum set they will probably be the same finish
  12. hsech

hsech Don't try to argue with an old fart. Gold Supporting Member

I think that is the other way around. Killer amp, could have got more bang for the buck bass wise.
  13. FunkyBassRiddim

FunkyBassRiddim

That's what I was thinking too. I'll be able to at least play something enjoyable when the thing gets here, but I still have a lot to learn about the instrument.

Then again, I like that one fortune you get some times:

Spend less time stringing and tuning your instrument, and make music instead.

Or something
  14. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Welcome to Talk Bass Alex and that's a great rig and I'm looking to buy that amp and cab soon and for the folks who say he could have done better amp or bass wise give suggestions and check out the prices for the 300T and that Neo cab alone before you do. I can't think of too many basses in that price range that are better that '70 Modified Jazz Bass good luck Alex that rig should sound killer.
  15. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Your bass is more than fine "it's how you play not what you play" if anyone puts you down for the type of bass you have make them eat their words when you start to play it once again good luck.
  16. 5port

5port

Cant comment about the amp..don't know enough about it. I do own a Vintage Modified Squire (Jaco fretless) myself though. Great bass. It will help if you know how to set string height and how to adjust the neck. Once you do that to you will love it. The good news is that the Squires are very easy to set-up.
  17. AlexanderB

AlexanderB

Those Squiers are not "great" in absolute terms, but they are low cost, good value and surprisingly consistent, at least the chinese ones. Even MIA Fenders are more inconsistent, IME.
    You might eventually want to shield it, though, to reduce single coil hum. Stock is ok at home but not for gigging, IME. Personally i really like the Duncan design Pickups used through 2012 and prefer them over most current Fender p/u.

The amp is good enough for many pros, letting your bass shine and responding to your playing style.

I think it is a very good combination and any future upgrade would be to completely replace the bass with something better, if you find it lacking. This is of course IMO.

And welcome!
  18. smeet

smeet Gold Supporting Member

Alex, welcome to TB.
    Your setup is great. The bass is good enough to do pro gigs with, especially through a good amp. The amp is top of the line, and the cab is probably very good also. Tubes are great if that's the sound you like (although many bassists actually prefer a good solid state amp). You may decide it's not quite the sound you want, but you'll never think it's not good enough.

So you've passed the first hurdle - you have no excuses, no equipment barriers to becoming a great player and getting great gigs. Now you have to really buckle down and learn to play. It sounds like you have the right attitude as far as learning. Learn all the theory you can, learn to walk and solo over changes, learn to read standard notation fluently, learn to play fingerstyle and pickstyle and slap. Learn how to pull a great sound out of your rig. And play with other people as much as you can, in as many styles as you can.

Get some trombone and cello étude books, and also pretty much all Anthony vitti's books are great. Start transcribing great bass lines, and also solos and melodies played on other instruments.

Good luck and have fun. And if you decide you don't want that head, lots of people around here would be glad to take off your hands. :)
  19. Stumbo

Stumbo Wherever you go, there you are. Supporting Member

IMO, It'll be a great "investment" when you learn to play the bass well and get some cool gigs. :)
    Or just have fun with the learning process, like most TBrs do!

Good luck!

Check out my TB Wiki links below for some great bass info.
  20. tbirdsp

tbirdsp Supporting Member

I have the Bassman 100T head but I don't have Fender cabs (use it with one or two Genz Benz Focus 115's or an Avatar B212 Neo). If you don't mind lugging the head around it's well worth it. I have a bunch of heads and the Bassman is the best sounding. That 410 will probably be fine - speaker size has little to do with the tuning of the cab.

I have the same Squier VM '70s Jazz plus a Fender American Standard Jazz. Is the Fender better? - yes. Is it a thousand dollars better? No. I'd gig the Squier more but I have a Hipshot D tuner on my Am Std and I need to use drop D for a few songs. The Squier is my practice and #2 bass for sure though.

Price you paid was just OK - with careful shopping/bargaining you probably could have gotten the whole rig new for about 2300 (street price new with no discount would have been $2900).
  21. Kenner

Kenner

.........if you're happy with what you have... it doesn't matter what others think.. :)