1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

240v to 120v transformer

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Discharge, Feb 10, 2014.

1. Discharge

Discharge

I was hoping someone could recommend me a good quality brand or model?
  2. anotherlin

anotherlin

What is the model of your 240V bass amp that you want to use with 120V ?

The transformer inside may support both voltages, it just needs to be rewired. Some switched-mode supply can also work with both voltages. So you may not even need a transformer.
  3. dincz

dincz

He's looking for a 240 to 120, so I'd guess he wants to run a 120V amp from a 240V supply.

Nitpicking: Very few countries have 240V now. Most have changed the standard to 230V
  4. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

Where on this small planet do you live and what amplifier are we talking about??? This is stuff we NEED to know to give you a viable answer.
  5. Sid Fang

Sid Fang Reformed Fusion Player Supporting Member

Having dealt with this situation both taking US gear to Europe and EU gear to the US, there really aren't any "name brands" for this sort of thing. They're just big honking transformers, typically built in China by subcontractors whose names we will never hear. There are basically two styles, a "true" step-down transformer that also does electrical isolation - not generally an issue for amp mains power, and "autotransformers" that have only a single winding. These don't provide that isolation, but are significantly lighter and cheaper than the classic, dual-winding step-down. I've used both for bass/guitar amps and powered PA systems, and the inexpensive autotransformer types have worked just as well as the dual-winding ones.

I have only two recommendations: Always buy a converter rated to a much higher power than you would ever imagine drawing, e.g. for a 300W amp, buy a converter rated to at least 500W, and buy a converter that's enclosed in some kind of box. It helps prevent accidents and is MUCH easier to pack and transport.

I use one of these to run my 500W, 240V powered subwoofer in the US. So far, it's been reliable, cool, and quiet. But I suspect that identical boxes can be had under different names and prices.
  6. Discharge

Discharge

Sorry my bad 230v to 120v.

I live in the UAE - Abu Dhabi, the amp will be a Peavey VB-2.
  7. BassmanPaul

I have a sneaky suspicion that the VB2 will be switchable internally. PM Booby from Peavey here on TB. I think he designed the amp, BbbyBld is his user name.
  8. BassmanPaul

By the way, please keep us informed about the result. The more accurate knowledge gets spread around the better for all of us.
  9. jeff7bass

jeff7bass

FYI. Carvin's have automatic converters built-in to their new line of bass heads.
  10. Discharge

Discharge

Lots of amps do, particularly class D, however amps with valve power sections usually don't.

I've fired him a PM, hopefully he'll weigh in with an answer :)
  11. JellinWellen

JellinWellen

Doesn't it have a switcher on the back, I'm pretty sure mine does.

Edit: nope, guess not.
  12. BbbyBld

BbbyBld

Disclosures:
    MI Amp Engineer: Peavey Electronics
    Sorry, the VB-2 does not have 120/230V switching capability. The power transformer would have to be changed. Let me know if you need help getting a 120V XFMR.

If that means you haven't purchased it yet...the VB-3 switches automatically.
  13. sowilson

sowilson

You're in the UAE? I lived in Saudi for 10 years and we always used the Chineese step-up / step-down transformers. Usually sized it to be 3-5 times the wattage of our gear. You should be able to find them all over the place in the Electrical Souks.
  14. BassmanPaul

Quoting myself here to apologize to the OP. I was thinking of the VB2 as the one having an SMP supply. That, as Bobby pointed out, and he should know, was the VB3.
  15. Discharge

Discharge

Thanks for taking the time to post anyway, you're a credit to Peavey :)