25 Most valuable basses

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by Truktek2, Jan 17, 2013.

1. Truktek2

Sep 5, 2008
    Queens, NY
  2. You should read the Alembic history if you have the time. It is very interesting. They were quiet the pioneers.
  3. Bongolation

Nov 9, 2001
    No Bogus Endorsements
    I have a nice #6 I got for $75 in around '71.
  4. hdracer

hdracer Supporting Member

Feb 15, 2009
    Elk River, MN.
    That is some very inflated prices.
    Someone can value them and price them like that but they will never sell.
  5. Sponsored by:

6. Munjibunga

Munjibunga Total Hyper-Elite Member Gold Supporting Member

May 6, 2000
    Groom Lake, NV
    Independent Contractor to Bass San Diego
    I give you the The Flora Aurum, a mere $250,000 at Wynn and Company Jewelers, Las Vegas, Nevada. The original price was $100,000.

7. SirMjac28

SirMjac28 Patiently Waiting For The Next British Invasion Gold Supporting Member

Aug 25, 2010
    The Great Midwest
    The most valuable bass is my first bass my Greco Beatles bass got it in the 60's.
  8. mindwell

mindwell Supporting Member

Aug 17, 2006
    Wichita, KS
    Acoustic USA endorser
    The article reminds me of why I chose not to renew my subscription to Vintage Guitar. When it comes to bass, they just don't get it.
  9. Doodaddy

Jan 11, 2005
    West Monroe, LA
    I've got a pretty obscure SX bass. Surely that counts for something and should be listed? :p

10. Baird6869

Baird6869 LET'S GO BLUE JAYS...(in 2016)...LET'S GO!! Supporting Member

I have been buying this magazine for years and when this list came out, I thought it was idiotic. Terribly researched.

Many of the brand new Fodera, Ritter and Carl Thompson models should have made the list on initial price alone.... But they give us a dozen or so Fenders and a few each of Gibson, RIC and Alembic. :confused:

This list is the equivalent of a top 25 most expensive guitar list that looks like this: Strat, Strat, Strat, Strat, Strat, Strat, Tele, Tele, Tele, Tele, Tele, Tele, Les Paul, Les Paul, Les Paul, Les Paul, Les Paul, Les Paul,Les Paul, ES335, SG, SG, SG, Broadcaster, Nocaster.
  11. There was one of those Rics ('59?) on eBay not too long ago. I think it's been posted before and never sold because its like a $Billion buy it now.
  12. Bflat

Feb 5, 2008
    I wouldn't trade any one of my 7 1951 P basses for any one of the basses on that list, even though some of them are nice basses.......
  13. bootsox

Apr 28, 2012
    Biloxi, MS
    if I had 7 of them I wouldn't mind trading one for a blue '60 Jazz or a blonde '58 P
  14. D Bopp

D Bopp Supporting Member

May 26, 2007
    Atlanta, GA
    So a 1968 Fender Telecaster bass made the list, but the '51-'56 Precisions didn't?
  15. lavmonga

Jul 27, 2007
    New York, NY
    +1 If you take a look at ebay, some of these basses, even in great shape, don't even reach the lower of the estimated values on this site.
  16. woofdoggy

Apr 15, 2012
    No one remembers the mothman bass i guess?

17. Haunts my dreams!!!
  18. There are only three like this...
  19. JoeWPgh

Dec 21, 2012
    I would say the 2 most valuable basses are those two very famous and missing basses. Jamerson's P and Jaco's J.
  20. HaMMerHeD

HaMMerHeD Supporting Member

May 20, 2005
    Norman, OK
    Jaco's J isn't missing.

And Fender is very much over-represented in that list.
  21. Boot Soul

Boot Soul

Feb 10, 2009