250k or 500k pots for jazz control plate build?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by soaf, Dec 19, 2013.

1. soaf

soaf

What is the difference? What should I use and why? Thanks!
  2. line6man

line6man

Higher values place less load on the pickups, and thus, give less attenuation of output and higher frequencies. Conversely, lower values place a greater load on the pickups, causing more attenuation of output and high frequency content.

No one can just blindly suggest a value. Pot values are a highly personal preference, and often, people take into account the voicing of their pickups when choosing.
  3. soaf

soaf

So if I understand this correctly, full on to full off using the volume control will have less attenuation if I use 500k pots. Will my high end be decreased, or just the attenuation of the high end?
  4. line6man

line6man

I'm not sure what you're asking.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. soaf

soaf

Will my high frequencies be the same with the volume wide open whether I use 250k or 500k pots?
  7. line6man

line6man

No. The full resistance of the pot is applied parallel to the signal path at the full volume setting. A 250k pot will be darker than a 500k pot, because the path to ground is more direct with the lower resistance than with the higher resistance.
  8. soaf

soaf

I don't like 'dark', so I guess 500k is the way to go for me, I will just have less attenuation to get used to. I tend to always run full volume so the decrease in attenuation shouldn't bother me. You really know your stuff in this dept!
  9. tedsalt

tedsalt Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    darker ~= warmer

lighter ~= brighter, more trebly

I would find out what your pup mfr recommends, and go from there
  10. RobbieK

RobbieK

I like 250k's for Jazz and p's. The 500k's are brighter in tone if you run them flat out, but as soon as you turn the vol down a bit they get more muffled than 250K's. My basses are mostly active these days, but back when I played passive basses, I would run a little treble bleed circuit. I used to get theatre and orchestra work where you are tweaking your volume all night, and the tone shift was pretty annoying...
  11. walterw

walterw Supportive Fender Gold Supporting Member

if you go with 500k for more brightness, you'll definitely want linear volumes; 500ks drop off faster than 250ks, so 500k audio volumes would drop off really fast from "10", making it hard to get a smooth sweep. (keep the tone audio taper.)

i like the added attack and clarity of 500ks on fender bass pickups, but it's not for everybody.