250K Tone Pot with a 500K Volume Pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MoreBeer, Mar 23, 2014.

1. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

I have a new Squire Jazz I'm doing some modifications to. The bass only has a volume pot, 500k and no tone pot. (Chris Aiken model). This thing is beyond bright with only a 500k volume pot.

Anyhow, I have a new 250k pot and 47uf cap and was thinking about using it for the tone.

I'm assuming the 250k tone pot would just roll the brightness off a bit more than a matching 500k. Therefore, keeping the 500k volume pot will maintain a bit more brightness than using 250k pots for both.

Am I missing something here, not quite sure?
  2. line6man

line6man

A 250k tone pot on "10" is exactly the same as a 500k tone pot at the 250k point. For audio tapers, this usually occurs somewhere around four-fifths of the way up. From 0 to 250k, both pot values are electrically identical, with the only difference being the taper.
  3. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

Thanks for the reply, appreciate it.

Decided to put in the 250k pot. Finished about an hour ago and it made a huge improvement. Seems a little crazy to sell a bass with a volume pot only? I only bought this so I can fix it up into something totally different looking and sounding.
  4. line6man

line6man

It's very common to find instruments without tone controls. A lot of players don't use them, and/or don't want them, for various reasons. Sometimes you will even find that a single volume pot and no tone control is regarded as a selling point for certain guitars.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. MoreBeer

MoreBeer

Well, I guess Fender thought it would be a selling point for this particular bass. For me though, I wasn't too crazy about adjusting the mids and highs on the amp when playing this bass, so I wanted the tone pot. It was just crazy bright. Now I can cut back that tone pot and not have to get up off my fat a$$. LOL!

On another note, with this change along with the flats I'm putting on, I think this bass is a winner.

Although not exactly on topic, also changed the hideous cheap mirrored pickguard to a Fender pearl guard and am putting on a bridge ashtray and pickup cover. Will post a pic in the proper forum when done.
  7. JustForSport

JustForSport

I thought Fender made a bass in every desirable and affordable (not necessarily connected) configuration...No mods needed.