250W loud enough for punk/alternative band?

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by boro777, Jan 21, 2013.

1. boro777

boro777

Hello

Im looking at a TC Electronic BG250 1x15 combo amp, i like all its features; great tone, lightweight etc, etc. But my main concern is that will it be loud enough for a punk/alternative band in the practice room and also for small-medium sized gigs? Our drummer is pretty darn loud aswell.

Im currently using a laney RB7 300W 2x10 combo amp, its loud enough for what i need it for, but its a bad choice for our music genre(i was on a strict budget lol). Really need a change. But nothing too big as i need to fit a lot of band gear in a fairly small car and preferably less than £500.

Any advice, tips or even recommendations to other amps will be much appreciated, thanks!
  2. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

Media:
    Albums:
    250 watts may be more than enough, but a little combo isnt going to cut it. That same 250 watts on an 810 or super efficient 215, and now you are talking. Power is important, but the cab you are using is the real determining factor for how loud you will be.

If you are in the UK save your pennies and get a barefaced bass Super 15. A 100 watt amp will be loud with that cab, a 1000 watt amp will knock buildings down with that cab.
  3. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

That combo will cut it. I use it in a prog metal band.
  4. seamonkey

seamonkey

Try a TC Electronic BG250, a 2x10 model
    And then add a powered sub. Like a QSC K series
    More cones always helps in volume, but 2x10 will probably give you all you need for mids and highs. Adding a sub will increase the acoustic power for the bigger gigs.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

Really? That is your advice? Add a ridiculously expensive powered sub to a bass combo amp? :scowl:
  7. zachoff

zachoff

Wondering how different the Laney & the TC are going to be... My experience w/ the TC vocal processors has left me with a bad taste in my mouth. I haven't ever tried their combos, and probably won't.

What do you dislike about the Laney combo? What other gear are you using (bass/pedals/etc.)?
  8. Tractorr

Tractorr Supporting Member

Media:
    It depends on how loud the other band members are. One or two guitarists? What kind of amps? If you are going against two guitars with half stacks it probably won't cut it. If you are going against 1 or 2 guitarists with reasonable combo amps then it will probably work.

My 200 watt Hartke 1X15 was able to keep up with my guitarist's Marshall half stack but just barely. It was definitely straining.
  9. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

Sounds like you just need to tweak your eq or add a pedal to find your sound. 300 w 2x10 can work for any genre. Can you add extension cab to your existing amp? Another closely matched 2x10 or a 15 would be my first choice. If it pumps out 300w at 8 ohms it might do 500 at 4 which is enough for just about any band.
  10. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

Agreed. If your current combo amp is capaqble of adding an ext cab, that will be the ticket. Add fx pedals for different tonal options.
  11. boro777

boro777

Thanks for advice so far guys. I normally use a fender standard mim j bass with no pedals, i used to like the laney rb7 but i just cant seem to get the tones i want, tried all sorts of different eq settings, also think it must of been damaged when lugging it around to a gig or summit as sound has started to crackle up now and then, i would of kept with it (as it used to get me by for gigs & pracs) but its getting worse, so i think adding a cab maybe outta the question unfortunately. Any recommended fairly cheapish combos or cabs & heads? Anyone had any good experience with TC Electronic? i got the bg250 recommended because of the lightweight and its supposed to be decent sounding
  12. Kopfjaeger

Kopfjaeger Guest

+1

I use to own a Hartke kick back combo with one 15 inch Hydrive speaker. I'm sure the amp was rated at either 200 or 250 watts but there is no way on God's green earth that amp was going to compete in a band situation.

I sold that POS and upgraded to a 200w tube head with a 4-10 cab. That sucker cranks!! I recently got a "mini rig of doom", consisting of a Glasstone 2-12 cab rated at 600w driven by an Orange TB500. There are not too many places where I'm underpowered with either rig.

Sepp
  13. Floyd Eye

Floyd Eye Banned

First of all, look at the used market for your best bang for the buck. There are no doubt thousands of combinations of amps and heads that will do what you want. My advice is to go to a GC and other music stores and play a bunch of them until you find what suits you. Then search for it on the used market.

My personal opinion is to avoid combo amps and to buy the best gear you can afford as opposed to trying to cheap out because later you will have to sell that crap to get what you really want and you'll likely have to sell it at a loss.
  14. lokikallas

lokikallas Supporting Member

I think spending money on a tune up to your amp would be cheaper and money better spent. If you get a TC you'll only want an upgrade soon. 200$ won't get you far for new gear. Keep your amp and fix it and get a used cab to add IMO. (Used avatar)
  15. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    How loud is the rest of your band?

Combo's are almost never the right answer when someone is asking "Will this be enough?" They are the right answer when someone is asking "how can I preserve my tone when not needing a lot of volume?"
  16. zachoff

zachoff

I had a Laney guitar amp that did that. Turned out to be a loose wire and cost me all of $45 to fix. Take it to a tech before you buy a new one. Could save you a ton of money.

If you're dead set on getting something new I'd look used as well. Way cheaper than going new & Guitar Center is no good, anyway.
  17. boro777

boro777

We're a loud band for the equipment we use, at the moment my bands got 2 guitarists, both using combos both 150w for now until we have better transport/a second vehicle for lugging gear about and our drummer is loud/very hard hitter
  18. boro777

boro777

Nice! thanks think ill take it to a tech and get it looked at before doing any quick decisions. Would a 1x15 cab go well with the rb7?
  19. jimmeyer176

jimmeyer176

250 watts is fine, but through 1 speaker? I would want 2x12 or 410, but I've played some decent sized shows with 200 watts to a single 15, it will get the job done in theory but every amp is different
  20. CL400Peavey

Media:
    Albums:
    Two guitards using 150 watt amps, and animal on drums?

A combo is not your answer.
  21. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

The bg 250 only comes in a 1 15. Running the spectracomp and the tube tone makes for a very good tone. I run my mids high and cut through nicely either passive or active.