1. Welcome to the premier online community and classifieds for bass players!

Register a free account to post, remove lots of ads, and more!

25kohm pot instead of 10kohm pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MPU, Feb 1, 2013.

1. MPU

MPU Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I'm modifying cAMPus filter pre. Vol pot is 10k on schematic. I want a push/pull vol pot for switching boost amount and get rid of Q level pot. Can I use 25k instead of 10k? What difference can I expect?

2. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I use a 50K in mine so 25K wouldn't be a problem. I put in a push/pull pot to bypass everything so I can run the pickups directly to the jack. This is for running the bass through an outboard Varitone and various preamps. As far as bypassing the Q pot that would be altering the circuit itself. I found great tips in more electronic design intensive forums like freestompboxes.com http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10570

3. A 25k pot is going to change the behavior of the circuit. You should stick with the recommended value if you want the control to function properly.

4. MPU

MPU Supporting Member

Sep 21, 2004
    Valkeala Finland
    I just found a 10k push pull pot so that will be used. I'm not leaving the Q level out, I'm replacing it with switchable resistor. Works fine with a switch, now I just want to get rid of the switch and need for extra hole.

5. Sponsored by:

6. BassLife77

BassLife77

Nov 13, 2009
    San Diego
    I forgot to mention I tweaked some resistors and capacitors in the Q stack to my ears because I didn't like the initial sound of it. so thats why a 50K pot worked for me. I mimicked a similar state variable filter design I found on the Internet