25kohm pot instead of 10kohm pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MPU, Feb 1, 2013.

1. MPU

MPU

I'm modifying cAMPus filter pre. Vol pot is 10k on schematic. I want a push/pull vol pot for switching boost amount and get rid of Q level pot. Can I use 25k instead of 10k? What difference can I expect?
  2. BassLife77

BassLife77

I use a 50K in mine so 25K wouldn't be a problem. I put in a push/pull pot to bypass everything so I can run the pickups directly to the jack. This is for running the bass through an outboard Varitone and various preamps. As far as bypassing the Q pot that would be altering the circuit itself. I found great tips in more electronic design intensive forums like freestompboxes.com http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10570
  3. line6man

line6man

A 25k pot is going to change the behavior of the circuit. You should stick with the recommended value if you want the control to function properly.
  4. MPU

MPU

I just found a 10k push pull pot so that will be used. I'm not leaving the Q level out, I'm replacing it with switchable resistor. Works fine with a switch, now I just want to get rid of the switch and need for extra hole.
  5. BassLife77

BassLife77

I forgot to mention I tweaked some resistors and capacitors in the Q stack to my ears because I didn't like the initial sound of it. so thats why a 50K pot worked for me. I mimicked a similar state variable filter design I found on the Internet