1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TalkBass iphone/android app is NOT WORKING currently. We're working on it. Tapatalk IS working, so if you need to use an app, use Tapatalk. Try using your browser though - TalkBass is now 100% responsive to your phone/tablet screen size ;)

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

25kohm pot instead of 10kohm pot?

Discussion in 'Pickups & Electronics [BG]' started by MPU, Feb 1, 2013.

1. MPU

MPU

I'm modifying cAMPus filter pre. Vol pot is 10k on schematic. I want a push/pull vol pot for switching boost amount and get rid of Q level pot. Can I use 25k instead of 10k? What difference can I expect?
  2. BassLife77

BassLife77

I use a 50K in mine so 25K wouldn't be a problem. I put in a push/pull pot to bypass everything so I can run the pickups directly to the jack. This is for running the bass through an outboard Varitone and various preamps. As far as bypassing the Q pot that would be altering the circuit itself. I found great tips in more electronic design intensive forums like freestompboxes.com http://freestompboxes.org/viewtopic.php?f=10&t=10570
  3. line6man

line6man

A 25k pot is going to change the behavior of the circuit. You should stick with the recommended value if you want the control to function properly.
  4. MPU

MPU

I just found a 10k push pull pot so that will be used. I'm not leaving the Q level out, I'm replacing it with switchable resistor. Works fine with a switch, now I just want to get rid of the switch and need for extra hole.
  5. BassLife77

BassLife77

I forgot to mention I tweaked some resistors and capacitors in the Q stack to my ears because I didn't like the initial sound of it. so thats why a 50K pot worked for me. I mimicked a similar state variable filter design I found on the Internet