29 inch bass - would it work?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by tomersg, Mar 24, 2014.

1. tomersg

tomersg

i have a acoustic bass project in my mind.
    i wont to take an indian Givson acoustic jazz guitar. and convert to acoustic fretless shortscale bass with nylon wound strings. i really like the look of those guitars and replacing the hardware and other work is not complicated.
    i measured the scale (nut to bridge) and its about 29 inches.
    is this scale is acceptable to that propose?

[​IMG]

2. mrmills

mrmills

So long as you don't change the location of the bridge (to be clear, the brown wooden bit) the frets should be ok for that. 29" is short for a bass but there is not reason why it wouldn't work.

3. mongo2

mongo2

I recently completed the conversion of an Epiphone Dot Studio guitar into a 24.75" scale bass but I kept the frets.

However, I don't think you will get much acoustic volume from the guitar you've chosen, so a pickup of some sort may be desired.

My conversion...

[​IMG]

4. tomersg

tomersg

of course i'll need to install some kind of pickup. probably a piezo under the bridge. is there any acoustic bass that doesn't need amplification?

btw very nice work mongo2!
    with the frets is it in tune and intonate fine?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. mongo2

mongo2

Thanks.

I used a floating bridge from a"violin" style bass (not Hofner) and intonated it by shifting the bridge around and relocating one of the saddle "frets" to a different slot.

7. tomersg

tomersg

thanks. i have a bridge like this that i going to use.
    your project will be inspiration for me!

8. mongo2

mongo2

Just an FYI, I used the trapeze tailpiece from the same busted bass from which I got the bridge and I also used Labella nylon tapewound strings made specifically for the Hofner violin bass since the tuner end of those strings are thin enough to fit in the OEM tuner post holes so I could use the OEM tuners. I recut a replacement nut to accomodate the bass strings.

9. kodiakblair

kodiakblair

Mongo2 that's a very nice Bass you done there.

10. Koeda

Koeda Supporting Member

Inspired! How is the tension on the strings - no too loose?

11. mongo2

mongo2

Thanks.

The tension isn't as loose as I expected but I did raise the action an increase relief a bit to compensate for my touch.

12. M.R. Ogle

M.R. Ogle Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Backstage Guitar Lab owner
    Twenty-nine inch scale... that's just an inch less than an EB-O style bass... why not?

Yeah, this thread has me eyeballing a couple of hollowbody 6-strings I have laying around. Hmmmm....

josiah goldfish likes this.
  13. raventepes

raventepes

Try an acoustic bass?

Honestly, I tried a few acoustics when I went shopping for one. I played on an Ibanez, a Dean, a Samick Greg Bennett, and a couple others. I ended up buying the Samick. I preferred the tone and the fact that it projected the best between the rest of them. The fact that it was the cheapest of the bunch was an added bonus. I wish I would have had the ability to try out a Michael Kelly, but just couldn't find one in my state (Alaska).

14. flipmouse

flipmouse

getting in on this late...cuz i'm thinking of a project and found this in a search. (LUV the hollowbody project, mongo2!!) anyone tried converting a dreadnaught-style? thoughts/advice/problems? other threads to check out i might be overlooking?

15. knumbskull

knumbskull

Fender Japan made an extra-short scale Jazz a while back, i think it was 28 or 29 inches. So that scale could work. Interesting project!

16. tomersg

tomersg