2band EQ Stingray: only Classic?

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by williamk, Mar 3, 2014.

1. williamk

williamk

I've had a standard SR that I didn't like (I actually liked the feel and look, but not the sound). I recently fell in love with the classic SR, which has a 2band EQ, not a 3 band one. The thing is that the Classic SR is expensive and hard to find new OR used in my city (I always want to buy a bass I try, so buying from ebay or any other site is not going to happen). A store here even told be that the model was discontinued but I don't how true that is. Anyways, I was wondering if the standard SR exists with a 2 band eq instead of 3, and if, in that case, it sounds like the classic?

2. Smallmouth_Bass

Smallmouth_Bass Supporting Member

Yes they does exist, but it is more common to see the 3-band EQ versions of the Stingray (4-string). I am not sure how they compare to the Classic versions, but they sound good to me.

3. toomanyslurpees

toomanyslurpees

Yep, same 2band preamp, it's actually always been available.

4. williamk

williamk

hmm..! so pretty much exact same sound? I find there is a very noticeable difference between the 2 and 3 band EQ, and I really prefer the 2 band. maybe a standard 2 band will be easier to find than a classic. anyone know if they are really discontinued? they're still on the MM website

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. Caca de Kick

Caca de Kick Supporting Member

Musicman has always had the single H 2eq StingRay available. You can order one if you can't find a store with one. Check Bass Central, they always have em.

7. nivagues

nivagues

As above, the 2EQ has always been available for the SR4 single pickup. It's also the same preamp as for the Pre-EB Rays and the current Classic series.

8. williamk

williamk

ok, good to know, I will look into those. any really noticeable sound difference due to wood or PU between the classic and 2band standard then?

9. bassgod0dmw

bassgod0dmw Supporting Member

Nope. It's basically the same wood and the same pickup. The only real difference is the mute bridge, gloss neck, and slab style body.

Lots of people strongly prefer the the 2 band Ray.

10. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

Another difference is the Classic has a 7.25" radius and the non-Classic will have the 11" radius.

11. williamk

williamk

Soooo that means a "rounder" neck on the classic and a flatter neck on the standard?

12. Freddels

Freddels Musical Anarchist Supporting Member

The fretboard. It has nothing to do with the back of the neck. 7.25" radius is the vintage radius.