1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is still pending approval by Apple. If you haven't yet, try using your mobile browser - TalkBass is responsive to any screen size.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2nd Build, need some advice

Discussion in 'Luthier's Corner' started by cameronkeel, Nov 25, 2012.

1. cameronkeel

cameronkeel

OK, I am at the finish stage of my second bass build. It is a right hand reverse tele bass, inspired by one of several that Dusty Hill plays.

Using TV Jones PUPS with gold hardware. I ordered a Warmoth maple neck with Bubinga fret board. I dyed the body blue and will shoot nitro clear.

My question is do I need to finish the neck and or FB? Also kicking around the idea of dyeing the headstock, or cutting a piece of veneer ash and gluing it on then dyeing it.

pics: http://www.flickr.com/photos/keel-guitars/

Thanks,
    CK
  2. pilotjones

pilotjones Supporting Member

Unless you don't mind a a quick transition to hideously gray and nasty, maple needs a finish.

No roundover?
  3. cameronkeel

cameronkeel

Well, I definitely don't want hideously gray and nasty, so I will fininsh it.
    Should I go with an oil or shoudl I shoot it with nitro? I know I like the feel of the maple neck unfinished.

Also, does the bubinga fret board need finishing?

Side note, there is a very small round over on the body. You can just notice it on the pic where the body has been dyed.

Thanks for any and all suggestions.