1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2nd DR String break

Discussion in 'Strings [BG]' started by Ezmar, Jan 7, 2013.

1. Ezmar

Ezmar

So A couple weeks ago, I put on a set of DR Hi Beams. The D string broke within a week, so I sent an E-mail to DR, and got a replacement, which I put on a couple weeks ago. I haven't been playing a whole bunch lately, and the D string just snapped again.

Both times it was the usual place, down at the bridge saddle. I can't see anything wrong with the saddle, and the strings I used before were just fine. The D string does break most often, I've found, but that's probably due to the fact that It's a middle string and lighter than the A. Anyway, is there any sort of explanation for this? I guess I could send another E-mail in, and get another replacement, although I'd feel a tad sheepish doing so. But I don't think it's necessarily a problem of getting bad strings... Any help/advice would be appreciated.

2. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Odd.... I've been using Hi Beams for around 20 years and have never had this problem. Sure I've broken a couple of strings but was doing some heavy handed pick playing at the time. What type of bridge?

3. Ezmar

Ezmar

Stock Fender, circa 2005. It looks fine to me, and my usual Rotos lasted me as long as they usually do. I play hard and often, so my strings don't typically last too long anyway, but this is obviously not right. I just kind of want to see if I can figure out what's going on, rather than just getting new strings over and over again.

4. brentonkim

brentonkim

try filing the saddle a bit. they could be a little bit sharp. i had this problem a couple of months ago.

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Definitely. I even broke low B's but not regularly. I love the Hi Beams but have never had any troubles.

7. Shinji

Shinji

LOL ...sorry, I share your pain.
    This is why i haven't used DR strings for 16 years now (that and they seem to die quickly)

Having said that I broke a B string from a pack of ernie ball slinkies one day after I put them on, 3rd song into a four hour rehearsal, the day before a really important gig. It was 2006 and in Australia the retail price of these strings was $120AU

I think it just happens sometimes as bad as it seems. :meh:

8. Shinji

Shinji

...this may help your problem

9. ibnzneksrul

ibnzneksrul Supporting Member

This ^^^^

10. Ezmar

Ezmar

How would I go about doing that? Shat would I use? It doesn't LOOK that sharp to me, being round and all, but I guess I probably wouldn't know for sure just by looking.

11. eriky4003

eriky4003

I had a similar problem years ago only it was the G. I just used a metal file and rubbed it gently. There must have been a small metal flaw on the bridge which caused the string breakage.

12. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

[​IMG]

I'm guessing that your bridge looks like this.... One thing that can happen is that as it's strung the strings will drag across the saddles. This can cause burs.

13. Jay2U

Jay2U Not as bad as he lóòks Supporting Member

If the broken D-strings are of a different gauge than the ones used before, they may press on the saddle at another spot, which could have a sharp edge.

14. Ezmar

Ezmar

Well, I'll try the file, I'm sure there's one lying around, and E-mail DR to see if I can get a second replacement. Hopefully it works.

15. SLaPiNFuNK

SLaPiNFuNK Gold Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    Owner: BassStringsOnline.com
    What gauge Hi-Beams are you using?

What tuning?

16. Brendan5

Brendan5

Do hi beams have gold balls and no silks?

17. Ezmar

Ezmar

40 - 60 - 80 - 100

E A D G

Nothing out of the ordinary.

I took a file to my bridge, but I don't have another string yet. Hopefully that will have smoothed out any roughness. Although I can't say for sure.

18. Toptube

Toptube

While I've always wondered, if metal/metal rubbing is highly dicouraged with strings, why didn't fender ever standardize an easy/top load bridge. Why weren't they pressured to by string makers and bass players?

Note, the following is not meant to be an attack or even directed toward anyone. Rather, it is meant more to be generally descended from the comments above:
    I would be highly concerned with the design of the string, if a small bur from the outer wrap were enough to affect the integrity of a string. If that's the case, then I'd think people with Spectors would be breaking strings all the time. As they have a very sharp mount angle, and narrow contact point on their bridges.

19. stepswork4me

stepswork4me

Not a bur on the wrap but a bur on the saddle that creates a pressure point, so to speak. Tradition, no matter how impractical, is difficult move away from. Just human nature.