2nd Gen Peavey TL-five electronic gremlins

Discussion in 'Basses [BG]' started by morguedoc71, Feb 2, 2014.

1. morguedoc71

morguedoc71 Supporting Member

Hey gang!

Any Peavey TL owners out there experience electronic issues?

I've got a 2nd gen TL-5 with the following:

1) Goes through 9 volts like crazy (yes, the bass is unplugged when not in use)...short somewhere?

2) Perhaps totally unrelated; when turning the mid-switch knob, at a certain point there is a huge microphonic squelch through my amp. It doesn't happen all the time, but when it does, it's less than amusing.:p

Having zero electronic aptitude whatsoever, any thoughts/input would be greatly appreciated!:D

2. spade2you

spade2you

There's probably something in the jack that's bridging the connection, which is draining the battery because the bass is always "on". I thought the switch was for active passive unless the electronics have been changed out.

3. morguedoc71

No, no switch...just the standard active setup from factory (from what i gather from looking at the innards).

Might need to take a closer look at that jack.

Thanks!

4. mech

mech

On the battery life, the first thing I would suspect would be a short at the pins on the jack or the jack itself, as spade2you said. If there is a storage capacitor in the positive battery circuit on the pcb I would suspect it second.

For the oscillation you're getting when turning the mid control, the wiper of the pot is probably losing contact with the element and it's probably caused by contamination. Spray it, and all the rest, with some good potentiometer cleaner.

mech

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. morguedoc71

Thanks Mech! Will give it try...

7. morguedoc71

Just a quick follow up...found that the short was caused by some of the soldering material on two jack connections touching each other...an easy remedy. Cleaned the pots out with contact cleaner and Voila! Good as new. Thanks for your help!

8. mech

mech

Glad it all worked out.

mech