2nd gig technical issues

Discussion in 'Bass Humor & Gig Stories [BG]' started by lwknives, Jul 1, 2013.

1. lwknives

lwknives

Did my second gig this weekend, went better than the first! We had our own sound System and our own sound guy so we actually had a balanced mix and no feedback. :hyper:

About 15 minutes before we started our rhythm guitar player couldnt get his amp to work and was starting to freak out! It was making no sound at all. We tried different cables and I tried my guitar and still nothing. I asked him if he had double checked all the settings and he said he had.
    He was getting ready to drive home and get his other amp when I started checking his settings and noticed he had his mute button engaged haha. That fixed it.:bassist:

2. stingray2112

stingray2112

Haha that's happened to me before. I had my mute button turned on and we were doing out first song where the bass and drums come in together. Needless to say the drums came in but no bass. I played it off pretty well.

3. p-lo

p-lo Supporting Member

DOH!!! I did the same kind of thing Saturday night. Tuning between songs while the front man is on the mic talking to the crowd. He made some comment about my ridiculous Hawaiian shirt (we were playing a luau themed event) and I stepped in to my mic to respond and totally forgot to step on my tuner to turn it off. Walked back by the drummer for he and I to start the next song and.....he was playing by himself for the first bar while I scrambled back to my board to turn off my tuner.

Felt like an idiot but everyone had a good laugh.

4. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

My amp has a light to let me know it's in standby. Very handy

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. jaywa

jaywa

Best thing to do when that happens is lay out for 4 or 8 bars or till the most logical next entry point, and then come in just like you meant to do it that way.

I've done that more times than I care to admit.

7. fhm555

fhm555 So FOS my eyes are brown Supporting Member

+1 :D

8. kcole4001

kcole4001

That's one wonderful thing about playing out, you have to be able to recover quickly.
    The more you do it, the better you get at compensating and the less it bothers you.

Had an absolutely awful Canada Day set Monday afternoon.

The guitar player had slight amp issues, I had changed the length of my strap to make playing my still new to me Taurus pedals slightly easier, so my right arm position felt awkward the whole time, then my arm started cramping up.
    We both forgot parts and clammed up somewhat, the drummer was using new sticks which were rubber coated and made a big blister on his right index finger which hampered his playing considerably.

There were quite a few 'what happened' moments.
    Still better than working all day, though.

9. Robdrone

Robdrone

LOL! That happened to me before. I was playing a benefit show and I let the other bands use my rig. The bassist who played in the band before mine turned on my mute switch. When he unplugged. I didn't even know I had a mute switch. Needless to say I was freaking out for a second.

10. grey area

grey area

i needed a battery change on my wireless last week during a long gig and must have changed the channel on the sender. blamed technology and got a laugh but never again.

11. Warpeg

Warpeg Certified rocket surgeon Supporting Member

I remember a gig where the opener went a little over on time, so we scrambled to get set up and get the most out of the time we had left. In the scramble, I had forgotten to connect my amp to my cabinet. I spent five minutes going through every cable on my pedal board, checking my bass's 9V battery, checking the house's power situation, etc. The FOH engineer, monitor engineer, stage hand, both guitarists and I were crowding around my rig trying to figure out why there was no sound. My drummer, of all people, walked up to the rig, looked at it and asked, "How is sound supposed to get from your amp to your cabinet? Isn't there supposed to be a speaker cable or something?" Roughly 400 audience members witnessed me hugging my drummer while I blushed out of embarrassment for not catching the missing cable.