1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2x10 4ohms

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Budly64, Feb 17, 2013.

1. Budly64

Budly64

I'm looking for a 2x10 4ohm cab to use with a Genz Benz 3.5 ultralight head . Has anyone had experience with the carvin?

2. IPYF

IPYF

What's your objective?
    If it's to get the full wattage rating out of your head you're shooting yourself in the foot by looking for a 4ohm cab with only 2 speakers in it. It won't even really be noticeably louder than an 8ohm 2x10 and you won't be able to add another cab on if you need to later on down the track.

3. Phlipper

Phlipper

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
    What if your head goes to 2 ohms, like the Peavey Max 700? Then you're looking at having a small (ish) 2x10 for practices, easily carried, allowing your amp to push 500 into 20" of cone. Then for gigs you add a second 4 ohm 2x10 for an 4x10 rig at 2 ohms, allowing the amp to push all 700 watts (assuming the now 4x10 can handle 700 watts)?

This is exactly what I'm thinking of doing with my Max 700 ... a pair of Avatar or Carvin 4 ohm 2x10s. What are the negatives?

4. IPYF

IPYF

Good for you. But the OP doesn't have a Peavey Max 700 :)

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. B-string

B-string Gold Supporting Member

You will be very lucky if the 210 will actually handle 300 watts of bass guitar frequencies before hitting power compression. That is the down side.

7. bassplayer8953

bassplayer8953

Ok, then, to answer the op's question: the BR series 210 is very hi-fi. Not a lot of low to mid range; I own one and it does well coupled with my BR 115, but that doesn't seem to be your plan...

...BRX series is ported (BR is not) so it would probably be a better choice as a stand-alone. JMO...

8. Phlipper

Phlipper

Disclosures:
    Endorsing Artist: Old SS Peavey Lead Sleds and Peavey tube amps
  9. TigerInATrance

TigerInATrance

The BRX 10.2 sounds fantastic. I run 2 off my BX1500 and can dial in some tremendously low, ballsy sounds. Seems louder than my Ampeg PR410hlf with just one 210, but it's not a whole lot louder if at all. Did you have any particular questions about them?

I'd recommend avoiding the BR series as it's not a great sounding cab...

10. IPYF

IPYF

Relax dude. I was simply pointing out that if I were in the OP's position I'd be hesitant to go with a single 4ohm Cab, because in his instance he can't expand.

No reason why you shouldn't do it for yourself. I mean you clearly got an amp that can go down to 2 for a reason.

11. JLY

JLY Supporting Member Supporting Member

West Grove Pa (via the Northside of the 'Burg!)
    I had a Epifani PS 210 that was 4 ohms. I paired it with a GB Shuttle 6.0. I wish I still had that cab!!!! It was great with the Shuttle.

12. mesaleebob

mesaleebob

I have a 10.2 Neo and would highly recommend it. It is more contemporary than vintage sounding to me.

It's really loud when you want it to be and it has fantastic lows. I use it with 1001RBii and an SM500. Does a great job with the low B.

13. Warwick Qc418

Warwick Qc418 Supporting Member

14. Budly64

Budly64

My Genz Benz Neo is only 350w@4ohms. I was just thinking about just being as efficient as I could. I only get 275 @ 8 ohms. I am afraid of under powering the cabinet. I'm not opposed to adding another cab I just don't think the amp is big enough??

15. wcriley

wcriley

Disclosures:
    Uncompensated endorsing user: fEARful
    The difference between 275 and 350 watts is nothing.
    The difference between two and four 10" driver is much more noticeable.

16. Arjank

Arjank

+1
    Though doubling drivers only increases SPL with 3dB, same as doubling the amp output :)

17. RickenBoogie

RickenBoogie

...and underpowering is a myth. +1 read this again:

The difference between 275 and 350 watts is nothing.
    The difference between two and four 10" driver is much more noticeable.

18. Cadfael

Cadfael

If you ha a 100 watts top I would suggest to think about something different than a 1600 watts 810 cab ...

But 350 or 275 watts can cause a lot of work for a speaker cab.

You may loose a bit of max. power but if an 8 ohms cab won't do, a 4 ohms won't save you!
    For evens with no walls around you, a (borrowed) 8 ohms extension cab to your 8 ohms 210 will make the amplification louder than a 4 ohms 210 ...

19. Budly64

Budly64

Thanks for the tips.

20. iamlowsound

iamlowsound

I have a 2x10 4 ohm SWR cab, but I am also running a power amp that can be bridged to 2 ohm and it has two output channels, so it makes sense for me. If I were to do it again, I would go with an 8 ohm 2x10, just so it was even more flexible.

lowsound

21. agedhorse

agedhorse Development Engineer-Mesa, Product Support-Genz Supporting Member

What amp is this? I only know of 2 power amps that can operate into 2 ohms bridged, and both of them are very, very expensive.

Hate to see you damage an amp due to misunderstanding it's ratings.

Also, chack the back of your NeoPak to see if it carries the rating of 500 watts at 2 ohms. The later ones came from the factory this way and many of the earlier ones were upgraded at the factory under an upgrade program to run at 2 ohms.