1. Welcome to TalkBass 2014! If you're new here, we just went through a major site upgrade. Please post all concerns and bugs to the Forum Usage Issues forum. We will be monitoring that forum. Thank you for all of your feedback.

The TB Android app is working, you may need to uninstall/reinstall. The iPhone app is now updated and should work after you upgrade. TalkBass is responsive to any screen size, so we recommend using your mobile browser for full functionality.

Please read the TalkBass 2014 FAQ for lots of great info on the new software.

2x10 vs 1x12 Avatar

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Jaruquin, Nov 28, 2012.

1. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Looking at some Avatar cabs, undecided what size to go with. Thoughts?
  2. BigEarl

BigEarl

I loved my B210 w/neos ...until after 6 years and hundreds of gigs it developed a buzz. I always got nice compliments on tone with the 210. I also owned a ceramic 210 and 112 from Avatar and both sounded great, although I'm more partial to the 210's. I would buy one again in a heartbeat.
  3. SolarMan

SolarMan Supporting Member

I'm pretty sure I would grab the 2x10 vs. the 1x12

I think the 2x10 would be in competition with a 1x15
  4. CL400Peavey

CL400Peavey Supporting Member

I would go for an 8 Ohm 210. Then grab a second and stack them vertically.
  5. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

The 1x12 is a nicer sounding cab to me. More full, less scooped. The 2x10 will get louder. I did many gig's with the sb112. Fewer with the 2x10. Did several with the two paired up. That was pretty a nice setup. I was coming off a Schroeder 21012L to that setup.
    Used the Avatar setup for a year then got fearful disease. I will say that a good 12.6 will bury the Avatar stack, both cabs... And it is just a smidge larger than the sb112...

If I were buying Avatar today, it would be the sb112 and maybe a secon down the road. I would also be planning on a crossover mod and replacing the *useless* horn with a mid driver. Easy to do in that cab for a mini fEarful setup...
  6. wraub

wraub

Another vote here for the 1x12. I have played mine in various situations and it has always sounded great.
    Actually blew someone away recently with the sound quality/volume of this cab. They said they almost couldn't believe what they heard came from that little box.

I imagine their reaction to a fearful would be somewhat comical.

wraub

wraub
  7. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

.. as 4Mal mentions, there were at least a few of us running that 210/112 Av stack on here a while back ... FWIW, I had both the neo and the older Delta 210, and the neo definitely went lower, but it did seem mid scooped (again as 4Mal mentioned) ... I preferred the 210 Delta over the neo, but then I play a Jazz and prefer a more mid voiced cab ... I actually liked the 210 Delta by itself over the 112 (which was the DeltaLF at the time)also, but together they worked very well ...

Edit to add: .. after I wrote this, I realized it might not be much help if you are looking at current stock, as those drivers may not be what is even in use any longer ... in any case, Dave at Avatar is as good as it gets to deal with .. dont hesitate to give him a call if you have questions that should be answered directly from him ... even ask if he has any 'blem' cabs he can load for you ... a way to save a few bucks
  8. wraub

wraub

^ this.
    Dave is definitely very helpful in consultations re: your need and his product. Just give him a call and have your questions ready. ;)

wraub
  9. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

How about Avatar 2x10 VS Aguilar gs212? A friend of mine wants to sell me the Aguilar cab.
  10. tjh

tjh Supporting Member

I have not owned the Aggie, but a quick search on here should get you more than a few reviews ... but then, if it is your friends, you may have access to the cab and you can tell for yourself ..

.. you are kind of talking apples and oranges now, not many 210's are gonna hang with a decent 212, and that Aggie has some pretty major fans ... what kind of money are looking for the Aggie, and are you talking Avatars new?? ...
  11. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

$450 for the aggie 212. I was looking to buy a new Avatar 210. I'm afraid the aggie won't be punchy enuff. I like funk so I'm looking for a punchy but with some warn low end. I play a 5 string
  12. bobcruz

bobcruz

I have a pair of the neo SB112s and don't have experience with the 210, but I've had a lot of "mid-forward" bass cabs and the SB112 is anything but mid-forward. It sounds very "PA-like" to me, neither scooped nor forward in the mids. When I play recorded music through it, it sounds very uncolored. I think this is a result of Dave using a custom (greater X-max) Eminence Deltalite, since more X-max should mean less midrange than a standard Deltalite, plus the two-way crossover probably reduces some output at the top of the woofer's range where the tweeter kicks in. It's a very smooth cab. I can always add mid EQ if I want it. -Bob
  13. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

I'm not really sure what all that means. "Mid-forward" "scooped"
  14. bobcruz

bobcruz

It's a way to describe certain characteristics of speakers intended for bass guitar amplification. Compared to a studio monitor or good home stereo speaker, where the intent is to accurately reproduce the sound fed into them, musical instrument speakers for bass guitar can have an exaggerated response in the midrange frequencies, which can help you and the audience distinguish notes more clearly. That's a "mid-forward" sound, and if it's overdone it can sound weird or harsh. The opposite is where the midrange frequencies are less than the deeper and higher frequencies, so the sound is "scooped" (like a smiley-faced EQ on a graphic equalizer--low and high frequencies are turned up, midrange frequencies are turned down). If it's neither, then the speaker is relatively flat or uncolored. Any of these can sound good in different playing contexts and personal preference plays a large part.
  15. thudfromafar

thudfromafar

I also had both cabs.

I'd say the 1x12 was a little more low-mid oriented (more smooth and fat), and the 2x10 was a little rougher, a little more "hi-mid."

Both pretty good cabs. I ended up keeping the 1x12s for my goals.
  16. Jaruquin

Jaruquin

Tanks Bob that was a great explanation!
  17. 4Mal

4Mal Supporting Member

With everything else set to neutral...

Mid-forward -you hear more mids than the other freqs
    Scooped - more bass, more treble, less mids

You're going to get some of that in most every cab except for some thing studio monitor like. If I can really tell which, mid-scooped or mid-forward right off the git go. Then I'll keep looking as it will be too much for me to live with.

You can only correct things so much after a while... If for instance you play a P Bass, you already have low mids. If your cab emphasizes low mids, the you have A LOT of low mids. If you play a bar where the room itself reinforces the mids, you may run out of EQ options trying to Tame the low mids ...

A more neutral rig will always be able to respond to corrective eq more gracefully - or at least that has been my experience.