2x12 began to smell like an electrical fire...

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by MarkBC, Jan 25, 2013.

1. MarkBC

MarkBC

Hartke LH500 -> Epifani 2x12

Towards the end of a gig Friday night during our 3rd set I began to smell what smelled like an electrical fire. I bent down and realized it was coming from my cab. At no point did the sound begin to crack or distort in anyway. For a few seconds the sound seemed to go away but I couldn't be sure. There wasn't any smoke or anything.

After shutting off the amp for a few minutes I played our encore on a much lower volume.

Anyone have any idea what the problem might be? It still works but the smell is bad, seems like something is about to go. What would it be that didn't effect the sound?
  2. bumperbass

bumperbass

Sounds like you may have fried your tweeter or crossover.
  3. Steve Dallman

Steve Dallman Supporting Member

Or the L pad, if there is one. I've seen and smelled this one before.
  4. fdeck

fdeck Supporting Member

Disclosures:
    HPF Technology: Protecting the Pocket since 2007
    The good news is that when something's burning up, you can usually spot the damage on close inspection. For this reason it might be worth popping one of the drivers and taking a good look inside with a bright light for anything that looks like it's discolored from heat. If the x-over is in a PC board you might have to look on both sides of the board, in case the problem is due to a bad solder joint. Also look closely around the jack plate area to make sure nothing is happening such as wires or contacts getting crossed.

If you find nothing wrong, that's bad news, as it means that a trip to the tech is in order.
  5. Register to disable this ad
  6. musicman666

musicman666 Supporting Member

Maybe the tone gnomes got cold and warmed themselves with a small fire?
  7. BassmanPaul

BassmanPaul Gold Supporting Member

I feel that maybe you are asking too much from your single 2x12. Possibly a second identical cabinet will prevent this occurring again.
  8. SactoBass

SactoBass There are some who call me.......Sactobass

+1
  9. B-string

B-string Supporting Member

As fdeck suggests remove the input plate on the cab and visually inspect. If you are using 1/4" cables I have seen the 1/4" jacks overheat and melt/burn the plastic plates. Any weak link will overheat and should be noticeable. Check the speakers for free movement as well.