1. Welcome to TalkBass, the Premier Bass Player Community and Information Source. We've been uniting the Low End Since 1998!

We're glad you've found us. Register a 100% Free Account to post and unlock tons of features.

2x12 cab

Discussion in 'Amps [BG]' started by Bridgeo, Jan 13, 2013.

1. Bridgeo

Bridgeo

i have begun the construction of a new 2x12 cab,according to the eminence website it says that the 12 inch basslite speaker can be mounted in a sealed cab with a volume of 1.15 cubic feet multiply by 2 for a 2x12 and i get 2.3,are these specs good to go by? my cab is 2.33 cubic feet with 1 inch foam lining,just wondering on opinions about this before i order the speakers.im trying to get a punchy clean sound out of this im not a fan of boomy cabs.
    thanks

2. Bridgeo

Bridgeo

83 views and no coments?

3. arai

arai

Download winISD and have a play around

4. Bridgeo

Bridgeo

winisd says 77.5 litres my 2.33 cudic foot box converts to 65.978,so it will be to small according to them but big enough acording to eminence would it be a problem ?what sound characteristics should i expect?

5. Register to disable this ad
  6. craig.p

craig.p Supporting Member

I didn't run a model, but according to the Eminence white paper, you should be fine with 2.33 internal. In WinISD did you account for internal airspace consumed by the driver (frame+magnet+cone)?

Should be a great cab. Can absorb a full 250 watts without having to worry about excessive infrasonic cone displacement.

You could make it slightly larger to go a bit deeper, at the expense of less power handling down low, but in the real world I don't think it'd make a whit of difference. No one's going to hear a dB or two extra kick at 50-80 when the dance floor's full and half the people are drunk. I'd rather have the Xmax buffer of the box you plan to build. It depends on what amp you're going to use, though. If it's an amp with only 100-150 watts, go a little bigger, just don't loan the cab to someone who uses a larger amp. Basically you can't design a cab w/o envisioning what amp(s) (or BGs, or player styles) it's going to be used with. A cab is part of a total system. But you should at least consider the amp's max output power in your design decisions.

7. Bridgeo

Bridgeo

im using a gk mb200 (wich i love by the way incredible power for its size) so that should be fine, the box itself is already made so making it bigger is not an option(it was originally intended to be a guitar speaker cab)i just want to make sure i can use it for both if i decide to change my mind.